cbk57

Heretical thoughts and discussion

I am posting in regard to the discussion going about Tamiya future releases. The topic on page 5 shifts to Tamiya 1/48 planes. I have felt for a long time that instead of scale and being absolutist, about LSP being about planes that are 1/32 scale or larger scale, that you should consider a revision to rules or another forum focused on Large Planes that may not be 1/32 scale. So many fighters in 1/48 like the Tamiya F-14 would fall in this range as well as many other big kits and 4 engine bombers.

Instead of “Non LSP†works I think there should be another branch of builds for Large Planes so that tanks and race cars or whatever else we like that is in Non LSP goes into that forum and Large Planes go into another forum.

I like models period, however this is an aircraft forum primarily. I think it should be a little more open though with regard to large models a little more independent of scale. After all if someone chose to scratch build a 1/48 B-52 I would want to see that build suitably recognized and not thrown in with a Panther 1/35 build.

Posted (edited)

I agree. The creepy crawly targets, brrm-brrms and floaty things need to be partitioned from smaller scale large aircraft, which deserve a dedicated forum.

If it has the same or more mass than a 1/32 Bf 109 I consider it a large plane, and that would include a 1/72 Victor and 1/48 Tomcat.

The trouble is the mods probably disagree and they have the final say, as they have enough to deal with already.

Tony

Edited

Edited by Tony T

Posted (edited)

I disagree. The forum already has the General Discussion and non-LSP boards to discuss non-LSPs and I think that’s more than enough. Once you start throwing in other categories or other scale aircraft, or even worse armor, cars, etc., then it just becomes another general modeling forum. Also, adding additional sub-forums requires more bandwidth, and more costs. There are plenty of other boards out there to discuss cars, armor, figures, etc. for people to post on. In fact, I’m sure many people here are members of multiple modeling forums and talk about their non-LSP stuff on those boards.

If people are hijacking LSP threads (other than GD and non-LSP works) to talk about non-LSPs, then that’s a moderation issue that needs to be looked at. I don’t think the fix is to surrender and simply add more forums.

BTW, I’ve always taken this board to be LARGE SCALE planes, not large SCALE PLANES. Besides, it easier to figure out. Either it’s 1/32 (or1/35) scale or larger or it isn’t. For the other interpretation, how big does a 1/48 or 1/72 kit have to be to qualify? Seems like there would have to be some criteria, and then people will complain about it being too restrictive or not restrictive enough.

Edited by Dave Williams

This has been brought up before, and there are some points of merit to it, but the bottom line is LSP specializes in large scale aircraft models (not trying to state the overtly obvious here, just continuing a point) and really it boils down to having to specialize in more and more forums beyond our stated mission, which is honestly something we'd prefer not to do.  

As was brought up above, there are two distinct forums here for non-LSP models, non-modelling general discussions, as well as other sites that do specialize in just what you are speaking about, so we do feel as staff we have a good handle on our specialty within the modelling community, without having to expand and expand into extra forums that deviate way off of our specialized niche we have here. 

Posted (edited)

I disagree too. This site is called Large Scale. Planes, not Large Scale Planes ....

This results in a focus that is highly satisfactory to me, and I would dare to say »relaxing ».

Adding other subforums would just create additional clutter and complexity. I will not give specific names, but there are other forums whose 3-or-4-pages subforums’ menu is just maddening ... Which one should I look at ? Which one should I decide to post a comment or start a thread on ?

I have ended up not visiting those anymore, for this reason mainly, and others linked to specific policy or membership attitude...

Yet I think looking at other categories of models (vs aircrafts) is very interesting : it often highlights different techniques and approaches, which are often useful to adapt to aircraft modelling. I enjoy immensely the « Non-LSP » subforum, and I look at it at each of my visits. Ditto for some non Large Scale aircraft models builds.

But I would not want to have yet another subforum for 1/48 B-52s or C-130s or F-14s or 1/72 Victors ... That would create additional clutter and subsegmentation, and not add any value to the LSP experience IMHO. I am fine to look at these builds on the « Non-LSP » forum, though.

Hubert

PS: Btw, this thread belongs to « General Discussion Â» ;)

Edited by MostlyRacers

I enjoy this site a lot more than I do other sites because I do not have to sift through hundreds of posts about small scale models of assorted types, cars, boats AFV's etc, the site concentrates on what I am interested in which is Large scale planes, when I was building 1/35 sale AFV's as well as aircraft I hung around on different sites but now my focus is 100% on 1/32 scale aircraft so LSP is where I spend the most time.

Cheers

Dennis

I can sure appreciate the reasoning, cbk, but I am also in the camp of "I think it's good the way it is". 

As a mod team we can appreciate the reasoning as well. We feel its just too far "off mission", and can really make an otherwise simple to navigate forum a convoluted mess. 

Points totally accepted. I certainly prefer the heft of 1/32, and I like the big scale ethos here - I suppose it's considered a more grown up hobby than building in smaller scales.

I just wished some of the "alternative" sites were as literate as LSP.

Tony

Posted (edited)

I disagree. Leave it as it is. Large scale planes, 1/32 and up, is different than large planes. I also believe it will dilute the focus of this site, and if I want armour or ships there are other sites to go to. The non-LSP forum is enough, and I do like to occasionally look to see what other projects people are working, and it's nice to have it there. But it's not the reason for this site, I don't think.

This is my favourite site precisely because it focuses on 1/32 (well, ok, 1/35) and larger aircraft. It's comfortable, and the natives are a friendly bunch.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Posted (edited)

I absolutely in the camp of not changing and adding additional sub-forums. I've been a member of LSP for a very long time, way before there was a Non-LSP Forum and voted for the Non LSP Forum when it was brought up to the membership. I do build in a variety of scales, with 32nd scale being the largest portion of my modeling by far and appreciate the opportunity of presenting build threads for whatever I am working on here on LSP.

When I come on board each day (numerous times) I normally check in with: View New Content, allowing me to see all the new posts since my last visit. If I want to just concentrate and quickly go to large scale aircraft or non LSP builds, or whatever, I would pop on over to that forum. For me, one of the things that makes LSP unique is just that Large Scale Planes is the center of our forum and I would not want to changer that in any way. Creating a host of very specific non LSP modeling forums would create a number smaller forums were only a few builds would be going on at any one time. If I remember correctly the idea of the Non LSP was have a forum members who build both large scale aircraft and other scales/venues as well. I don't think it was intended as a forum for modelers who solely do not build large scale aircraft.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Hell, no!!

Large SCALE planes. Not large planes. 

I only model in 1/32. I don't want to see 1/48, or even a 1/72 He-111Z. 

Keeps it simple, succinct and to to point.

I don't care if it's boring, I don't care if it's limiting, I like being boringly limited.