Clunkmeister

KHM 1/48 Su-17M4

Posted (edited)

I think the Su-17 is a cool jet. I've wished for quite awhile that a decent IM 1/32 scale kit would be available, but unfortunately the Su-17 hasn't made the leap to LSP size yet.,

So,.. The next best thing. A 1/48 kit. I started this on a whim a couple weeks back, and have about 5 hours in it between working on the Taube, PBJ, and a Corsair.

I used a HAD Models intake shock cone, a resin K-36 sent by Martin, and a resin afterburner can in place of the entire engine.

The kit would have you build a great looking engine, then seal it up forever in the fuselage. :-/

I'm having none of that. As it is, it'll take a lot of nose weight.

My aircraft of choice is the only one my research department (Martin) can find documentation on. This plane flew in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

IMG_5750-L.jpg

So far, it looks like this.

IMG_5744-L.jpg

More:

Nose. Probably should have thinned the area around the blow in doors, but the aircraft will be parked, so the doors will be closed.

IMG_5749-L.jpg

Resin burner can is positively brilliant.

IMG_5748-L.jpg

The cockpit. Kit cockpit decals are wild! Looks great, IMHO.

DsVthv6/A]IMG_5746-L.jpg[/url]

IMG_5747-L.jpg

Edited by Clunkmeister

One of the oddities of this kit is a fuselage that consists of 3 pieces per side and the spine, thick is made up of no less than 7 pieces including the fin.

Building it has proved problematic. I highly recommend this procedure:

1. Build the fuselage sides from their 3 pieces much as you would, say, a Hasegawa P-40. Check alignment frequently, just as you would a Hasegawa P-40.

2. Build the internals and install, then close the fuselage.

3. Fill the slots on the fuselage for mounting the spine and smooth as necessary. Describe as needed. Mount the vertical fin. Now the spine. Join the left and right sides of the individual spine sections according to which version you're building. Once the fin is dry, (you made sure it was vertical, right?) cut off the spine to fuselage mounting tabs. Start at the rear, glue the spine together, the rear two pieces first, concentrating on keeping the curve at the top identical. Test fit to the fin and for straightness often. Mount the front spine. Pay careful attention to the cockpit lip. The fit is tight and the cockpit bulkhead may need sanding down some. Glu

4. Glue it on straight.

5. This is easier than it sounds, no worse than building a Hasegawa P-40. But if you do it according to the kit instructions, you'll have visible slots to fill and maybe some gaps between the spine and fuselage. So just be careful and it'll be good.

IMG_5740-XL.jpg

I have heard nothing but bad things about this kit specifically, and Kitty Hawk generally.

Good luck with it!

Thanks,

Most of the gripes have focused on the fuselage assembly and the weapons pylons.

If you follow my steps above, fuselage assembly is a breeze, no worse than a multi piece assembly such as ZM.

The wing is supposedly sublime.

A quick look at the pylons reveals a mould line on the mounting surface. Some part prep and careful fitting should do the trick.

We'll see. Stay tuned.

Ernie

Nice to see you have the KHM SU-17 underway and under control. KH does have a tendency to design their kit’s fuselages in numerous sections to allow for future versions. Excellent tutorial on how to handle the multi section fuselage for ‘super fitting’ results. The front office looks nice and busy - whose paints did you use?

Can’t believe how many projects you have going - I’m completely incapable of any more then one on going project on the bench at a time.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

it's an easy build if you study it first like you would a resin kit or a limited production kit. If you do that, it's simple.

The difference is that on these kits, once you figure out a good sequence of assembly and trim any flash or ejection towers, the fit is phenomenal. As in sublime.

Take all slots, tabs, and locators with a grain of salt. don't be scared to trim them off if necessary. They're not really needed in this scale anyway

Brother Ernie

Superb!

Looking forward to how the build goes. Heard quite a bit of “difficulties†come with the kit so it’s lovely to see you tackle it and do your magic. Your explanation on how to do the multi part fuse sure makes it sound easier than it is!

Model on!

Karim

Posted (edited)

So my first little "hiccup". The blow in doors that feed the compressor at low airspeed don't fit well at all. The instructions would have you install them right now, after the fuselage is closed up.
The chance of them falling into the fuselage, never to be seen again, is quite high here, so my advice is to install these right away upon starting the kit, before closing the fuselage.

Might as well fight with them then. As it is, I've got some shimming, sanding, and scribing in my future. Not horrible, but I'd have rather done this with the fuselage apart so I had access to the backside.

A cool look for the blow-in doors would be to model them open. Thin the fuselage plastic, and glue them open, hinged at the front, then there's no worry about making them fit.

IMG_5757-XL.jpg

Edited by Clunkmeister

On the other end of this thing, we have a load of add on scoops, bumps, and lumps, all different and unique depending on the variant, of which there are many.

The good news here is that every single one so far fits like a dream. Just be sure to trim any ejector pin marks off the rear mating surface. Also, there are a few mould join lines apparent that are easily taken care of with a quick pass of a #11.

IMG_5758-X2.jpg

Ernie

Nice to see you have the KHM SU-17 underway and under control. KH does have a tendency to design their kit’s fuselages in numerous sections to allow for future versions. Excellent tutorial on how to handle the multi section fuselage for ‘super fitting’ results. The front office looks nice and busy - whose paints did you use?

Can’t believe how many projects you have going - I’m completely incapable of any more then one on going project on the bench at a time.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I've never minded three or four ongoing at once. When one kit starts grating, I move to something else...

KH kits can frustrate, but if you think ahead and plan, they seem to fit well. I should have known better with the blow in doors. But assumptions cam and do get you into trouble.

Nice work. Seems you got the fuselage sorted ok.

Thanks Max,

Yeah, for the most part, but it still has a few little hurdles to clear.