Clunkmeister

Wingnut Wings Taube 07/14/18 Wings

Posted (edited)

Started this a few weeks back, once I knew for certain I could attend, I started looking to throw something quickly together to take to the U.S. Nats.

Here's what I came up with.

Nothing special to be done here, just careful attention to visible details and try to build it cleanly.

I did beat up the aluminum kick plate in front of the observer a bit, and might mess up the floor a but, but other than that, it'll be clean.

Color choices are slim with this. Clear Doped Linen, or Grey.

These were delivered to the Units in CDL but were quickly painted a Field Grey.

CDL is more transparent and the structure is visible, but Field Grey shows some too.

The other question was power. Merc or Argus. Let's be different and have a Non-Merc powered German aircraft, so Argus it is.

The kit gives a set of cylinders with no molded on pushrods. No mention of them in the instruction book, but I grabbed them anyway.

Very preliminary on the engine. It'll be detailed, faded, worn, heat treated, and greased up some.

Piano wire pushrods are a HUGE improvement.

IMG_5742-L.jpg

This is a couple preliminary pics, just got the wood painted, the front seat in, and the rigging started for the controls.

Sanding dust on the bottom, sorry.

IMG_5741-L.jpg

IMG_5743-L.jpg

Edited by Clunkmeister

Posted (edited)

Right there with you!

She’s looking puuuurty. So, gray or cdl?

The addition of the pushrods is a great improvement. I have always wondered why wnw never mentioned the pushrod-less parts in the instructions and that goes for all their benz engines...

Looking forward to your update Ernie!

Edit: autocorrect typo !!!

Edited by karimb

This is such an interesting model!

I'm looking forward to seeing your work on it expecially your take on keeping the translucent nature of the wings.

I have some photos of Peter Jackson's 1:1 that I took a couple of years ago, I'll dig them out and post if you are interested?

Chris

Looking at them now I see that they are a bit out of focus, probally because of the low light levels... oh-well

DSC_0165.md.jpg

DSC_0167.md.jpg

And a couple of others...

DSC_0171.md.jpg

DSC_0176.md.jpg

DSC_0177.md.jpg

DSC_0180.md.jpg

DSC_0183.md.jpg

DSC_0187.md.jpg

DSC_0179.md.jpg

If you want the images that are not on subject deleted just let me know.

Chris

Looking at them now I see that they are a bit out of focus, probally because of the low light levels... oh-well

Its nice that you're trying to be helpful but also considerate to the thread originators needs.

Thanks Matty

Nice pics! Not exactly the best lighting in there. Reminds me of the WWII display at MoF in Seattle. Shame!

Nice pics! Not exactly the best lighting in there. Reminds me of the WWII display at MoF in Seattle. Shame!

Not the best lighting for photography, but its perhaps the best aviation museum I've seen in terms of presentation. Very dramatic.

Nice start on the Taube too. :)

Posted (edited)

So I noticed a nasty seam in the very front of the engine, perfectly vertical up and down the water jacket, dead center, top to bottom.

Crazy visible, plain as day.

So we went back, sanded, filled, primed, and repainted the offending area. In this pic, the engine is just sitting on the mounts, with the fuselage frame just resting in the fuselage side, checking for clearance.

Obviously the engine still needs MUCH work.

IMG_5771-XL.jpg

Edited by Clunkmeister