MiG-23ML in Angola

Madmax

One of the things I like to strive for is realistic paintwork which makes it for me the longest step in the build but done right is very, very rewarding. I really like where your headed with this.

Cheers Bevan 

Thank you Gentlemen!

Two days of leave left and I am now steaming ahead to get this project complete.

Here is final look at the paintwork on the nose and the intakes. Over the satin coat as well as the light 5% mix, I used oil paint to highlight the fastener heads on the avionics panel on the nose, as well as green oil paint to recreate the marks on the side of the intake where the chalky green paint was scuffed by ground handling. I have rubbed some 7B pencil "dust" onto the upper brown paint of the intake, as well as the splitter plate to give it the glossy dark tone it appears to have. And that's that.

IMG_7240-XL.jpg

Just for fun, here is the ejection seat. Aires magic. 7B pencil dust buffed onto the headrest to get the patina right.

IMG_7246-XL.jpg

IMG_7247-XL.jpg

The acid test of this model was how it would sit on its gear. I struggled my backside off to get these glued into place as there are four points that need to be accurately positioned and glued AT THE SAME TIME! Eventually I figured epoxy was the way to go, and after some contortion they are in. Phew. 

IMG_7243-XL.jpg

The happy news is that this supersonic combine-harvester sits comfortably between the pregnant dragon MF and a tippy-toed ML. No bricks required to adjust the stance. :lol:

IMG_7248-XL.jpg

Now, where is my glue...

MARU5137, you certainly are a great supporter. Thank you! :D

This project is now complete. 

It has been a wonderful learning experience, as most models tend to be. I now understand the shapes and sizes of the parts that make up this marvellous Cold War fighter, as well as some insight into the colour scheme they wore in Angolan service. This will all stand me in good stead as I tackle the illustrations for a book about a Cuban pilot's experiences in Angola. 

Here it is in soft detail, but please shuffle across to the Ready for Inspection side to see more.

Cheers,

Sean

IMG_7293-XL.jpg

IMG_7278-XL.jpg

23 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Very impressive, is the seat the Aires with separate pe belts?

It is indeed Kagemusha. I think they (Aires) really hit a high point with the resin for this kit. I will be purchasing another KM1-M seat to see if a MiG-21 MF kit magically comes with it!

22 hours ago, TimHepplestone said:

Brilliant work. This thread has been an absolute pleasure to follow:clap2:

Thanks Tim, as was your story about the fishnet stockings!

14 hours ago, LSP_Paul said:

Outstanding Result !  Very realistic looking, it's been a lot of fun watching it come together, thank you for sharing! :clap2:

Paul

It has been my pleasure Paul.

Cheers,

Sean

On 7/23/2018 at 7:02 PM, misha71 said:

outsdanding work

real winner

Thanks Misha!

On 7/23/2018 at 10:06 PM, Marcel111 said:

Congrats on finishing this extraordinary build, can't wait to see your next project!

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel, I'm afraid the next one is a self development piece. Check out my response to Gaz...

On 7/24/2018 at 3:29 AM, Gazzas said:

What a fantastic build!  I've enjoyed following along and am gonna bookmark this one.  The weathering on that Aires seat is just amazing.

What's next?

Gaz

Thanks Gaz! My next project is a T-55 tank. I haven't built any armour to date, but need a change of direction for a moment to catch up with the weathering techniques and products out there. Back with a MiG-29 after that.

Cheers!

Sean

On 7/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, alain11 said:

Cheetah!!!??? what else ??????????? obvious for an expert ...doesn't it  

Alain

You are funny Alain, and know too much! Keen on a MiG-29?

hi

funny !!!??? i am serious !!!!! ..............no , i am kidding:D , but there is a part of truth .From time to time , I take a look at the SAAF forum , hoping for a Cheetah thread , but ......" nada"  .....I tried this conversion a while ago , Nick showed me the way , and  helped me , but unfortunately , my cut turned wrong  , too bad .. but I don't give up ....... Well , after your amazing Mig 23 , your T 55 , and then a Mig 29 , it seems you are in a Russian period.....so , A mig 29 ? cool project ;)

Alain 

Edited by alain11