MiG-23ML in Angola

Madmax

I encountered an irritating problem which someone may be able to shed some light on or maybe offer advice. A small portion of the join on the nose cone separated for no apparent reason, and left a visible join line which I then had to re-glue and fill. I use Tamiya "extra thin" cement, and run two applications on the joins. Maybe I just handle the model too much by the nose?

IMG_7196-XL.jpg

That is all patched up in the meantime, and I could get down to the decals. Linden Hill make a very comprehensive set of stencil decals for the MiG-23 and are WAY better than the kit offering.

IMG_7200-XL.jpg

It was quite difficult to work out just how much of the stencilling there actually is on the well worn MiG that I am representing. It looks like about 70% of the stencils are still present, and they are a non-uniform mix of blue and white. The decal instructions mention that normally the ML had blue stencils and the MLD white ones. I can see some blue and some white on my reference photo's, and different colours on different airframes. I think whoever was spraying stencils had the choice, depending on what was served for lunch at the Mikoyan canteen. Red is not optional - Cold War stuff. On the upper surfaces I have rubbed down the yellow decals with a micromesh cloth to fade them a bit. Some collateral damage happened but it suits my weathering plans. I have also painted some scratches on what appear to be high traffic area.

IMG_7201-XL.jpg

I was enjoying the idea of chipping by paintbrush, and painted some lighter colours as well as zinc chromate on these areas based on images I saw on a "walkabout" of an ML.

IMG_7202-XL.jpg

Then I applied my preferred wash of well thinned oil paint. I leave it to "dry" for about an hour, and then wipe off the excess. This avoids the "staining" one often sees along the panel lines, and leaves an even "filter" colour over the base paint.

IMG_7204-XL.jpg

Treated on the left, untreated on the right - fairly subtle but noticeable in direct comparison.

IMG_7205-XL.jpg

The horizontal stab is well wiped down, but I prefer to leave the wheel hubs with the oil paint as is.

IMG_7207-XL.jpg

The weld seams are now a little more pronounced and the chipping on the pylon is slightly toned down. 

IMG_7210-XL.jpg

This is the fun bit!

What do you use to wipe off the excess oil paint?  Paper towel, cotton rag?   I really like that approach, as you said, it's subtle which is the key to effective weathering. 

Brilliant paint job. You obviously have a lot of skill with the airbrush and I can’t help but think that the results your getting are more interesting  and realistic than seen with various black basing techniques that seem in vogue.

Wow!

What a wonderful response - thank you very much to one and all. :)

On 7/14/2018 at 4:31 PM, John1 said:

What do you use to wipe off the excess oil paint?  Paper towel, cotton rag?   I really like that approach, as you said, it's subtle which is the key to effective weathering. 

John, believe it or not, I use toilet paper. Soft 2 ply of course!

This project, apart from modelling a significant aircraft, is about weathering.

I have been enjoying Fancherello's incredible work, and have also spent quite a bit of time looking at what Miguel Jimenez is doing to enhance the hobby. Through these and other influences I am slowly breaking with 30 odd years of traditional aircraft model finishing. I get the impression a lot of weathering is really about observing detail on the full scale aircraft, and working out how to get it onto the little one, and how much of it is necessary to achieve the look you want. John1 mentioned subtlety, and that certainly plays a role.

So, here is a case in point. Observe the "chipped" paint under the wing shoulder of this MiG (I think this is no 456, and it has white stencilling unlike 454 which appears to be mostly blue). 

Paint%20Chipping-L.jpg

This is where Fanch's technique comes into play. I have left out some of his steps as I only want to achieve a simple look for now.

Base coat.

IMG_7212-XL.jpg

Masking fluid sponged on.

IMG_7215-XL.jpg

Lightly sprayed with a 5% white and ochre mix (95% thinner), masking rubbed off and then another coat of 5% mix. Now it has a dusty sun bleached look with some variety!

IMG_7216-XL.jpg

The underside got the same treatment, but with a dark 5% mix. I think the technique is particularly effective on a single colour. I know that this may just look "dirty" to many modellers, and I am also a bit conflicted by it, but will bravely continue to break with my traditional methods. :blink:

IMG_7218-XL.jpg

One of the aspects of the finish that I have wanted to change for some time is the matt coat. I agree with Miguel Jimenez's view on this, in that a matt coat kills the variety of surface textures that are found on the real thing. I used Microscale Satin at first, but then opted for the Flat (which is their matt coat but is actually closer to a satin). Unlike my previous builds, I am now building on to the existing weathering with oil paint over the satin coat, and allowing the gloss to happen when rubbing the areas I want to enhance. I have also sprayed a dusty 5% coat on some areas to make the paint look slightly chalky as the sun does it's work on the pigment. I think this is getting closer to the look I would like to achieve...

IMG_7232-XL.jpg

IMG_7230-XL.jpg

Nearly time to assemble all the bits and pieces!

Greetings,

Sean