DannyVM

Revell 1/350 Tirpitz

On 8/21/2018 at 10:56 AM, MikeA said:

Very clean and exacting work. Well done. Almost like doing hundreds of mini models to bring together. 

Cheers,

Mike

Thank's Mike.:speak_cool: Indeed, every bit is like building a small model on it's own.

3 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Good to see you on this one Danny.

Thank's, but it's a in between project, better said a long time project between the build of my 1/32 F-4J Phantom.

Hi Folk's, time to make some progress onto this beast.

Yesterday and today i did some work on the Tirpitz. The hull was painted completely, and the deck received the wooden deck it deserved. 

So now onto the painting of the hull. Revell instructions gave two choices to paint the model, but something tells me that it is not very accurate, don't ask me why, but when i look at this link, i don't find any color variation like the ones depicted into the Revell instructions.

fqb8IsKl.jpg

bAbJSMwl.jpg

So, to be honest, this is my first ship build, the camo pattern like shown above is just to complicated to paint it for a novice, so i decided to go a little easier. I did some research and i came up with this color scheme

a4FAyHrl.jpg

ihcIZDul.jpg

Lui4Mzwl.jpg

It's a fairly simple color scheme, but still, i like it, so, this is the one i will use. 

I started with the primer coat, i use black.

ENOxPY9l.jpg

Some taping to do and next color is the bottom of the hul, the red-brown color.

oLZ57Sll.jpg

So i build up the colors, side of the hull, the dark and light grey colors.

NlfDQf1l.jpg

pAPTmmkl.jpg

After that, i airbrushed a gloss clear coat onto the model and afterwards it was time to tackle the wooden deck, something is wasn't really thrilled about to do.

eoUpZaMl.jpg

iMuHhHUl.jpg

YJZhgkJl.jpg

To be honest, this is just easy work, the wooden deck was added withing about an half an hour and it was done.

ETtkXyml.jpg

91Icyekl.jpg

Regards

Danny

I was wondering if you were going to use a wooden deck or try to paint it.  Looks fantastic.

These big 1/350 ships can be pretty impressive display pieces.

Keep up the good work!

Looking good! Very sharp.

I’m part way through my Tirpitz, but haven’t posted it as it is such slow work. A 3D jigsaw puzzle doing the late summer ‘43 scheme. The Revell Tirpitz is still the best of the 1/350 scale, but it is not entirely accurate in terms of fitout for any one period of the ship’s existence. Takes a lot of searching to sort it all out!

Really looking forward to seeing this all come together.

Cheers

Mike

18 hours ago, ringleheim said:

I was wondering if you were going to use a wooden deck or try to paint it.  Looks fantastic.

These big 1/350 ships can be pretty impressive display pieces.

Keep up the good work!

Maybe you can look at the earlier posted photo's i put here on the forum??

4 hours ago, MikeA said:

Looking good! Very sharp.

I’m part way through my Tirpitz, but haven’t posted it as it is such slow work. A 3D jigsaw puzzle doing the late summer ‘43 scheme. The Revell Tirpitz is still the best of the 1/350 scale, but it is not entirely accurate in terms of fitout for any one period of the ship’s existence. Takes a lot of searching to sort it all out!

Really looking forward to seeing this all come together.

Cheers

Mike

Thank's Mike. I did notice it also that some thing's aren't really accurate. Still i just don't know enough of the ship's history to go all the way. I will try make it as accurate as i can, but still i know it will not be fully historical correct.

Just finished work on the four 380 m/m guns of the Tirpitz. I also made one 20 m/m AA gun to place it on one of the 380 m/m gun turrets. You wouldn't believe it, but this 20 m/m AA gun exists of 25 PE part's which are folded and glued together.

The basic ingredients for the four 380 m/m guns.

rcYSlmAl.jpg

Some turrets showed some scratches on their surface. Nothing serious, just a little bit filling and the job is done.

247CyaCl.jpg

r94JIm8l.jpg

HyuTDkbl.jpg

Next, replace the plastic gun barrels with new brass ones.

pOMxPCBl.jpg

8eyCYSGl.jpg

zwDgq8wl.jpg

x973Sntl.jpg

On top of one of the turrets comes a 20 m/m AA Gun. Two choices, plastic or .......pe..........which exist out of 25 pieces.....:omg:

I decided to take the plunge, this is the result.

hGTIYpPl.jpg

0bwndenl.jpg

For comparison, a toothpick and my finger, just to show how small these suckers are...

iwqfZDul.jpg

And the whole bunch together.

PLmwzcBl.jpg

Regards

Danny

PE is growing on me but that’s still just too much, err small, dang!

your work is looking great! I’m enjoying this build. Maybe one day I’ll start my Bismark...

That 20 mm quad looks great Danny. Very inspiring. I have this kit as well, still lying dorment in the stash. I am thinking of doing the 1942 multi-coloured camo as she wore in Norway. There is a colour photo on the net, showing predominantly brown and green camouflage colours. I have a colour photo of the ships' other side of the same period in a camo of mostly Schnellbootweiss, sand yellow and black. These two combined should look funny on my model..

17 hours ago, themongoose said:

PE is growing on me but that’s still just too much, err small, dang!

your work is looking great! I’m enjoying this build. Maybe one day I’ll start my Bismark...

Pe indeed is very small, but once it's finished you get a lot of fine detail.

13 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

Looks great!

Enjoying your build.

Thank's mate for the nice comment.:speak_cool:

2 hours ago, Hans said:

That 20 mm quad looks great Danny. Very inspiring. I have this kit as well, still lying dorment in the stash. I am thinking of doing the 1942 multi-coloured camo as she wore in Norway. There is a colour photo on the net, showing predominantly brown and green camouflage colours. I have a colour photo of the ships' other side of the same period in a camo of mostly Schnellbootweiss, sand yellow and black. These two combined should look funny on my model..

Thank's Hans.:thumbsup: Nice to hear you have also this kit in your stash. It's a great kit. Tomorrow i will have the new AK Interactive book regarding the Bismarck and Tirpitz. This will shed some light into the fact which color scheme's are historical correct. I wouldn't go to bet on the Revell scheme's included in the kit. I also notice that the canvas for the main 380 m/m guns are not included in the kit. In her early configuration she didn't have those canvas covers, but in her later operational live she had them, so keep that in mind when doing a later scheme.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great work Danny. I love PE too, but that may be too small even for me to deal with!    Looking forward to more progress

It's small indeed, but still fun to do. Thank's mate for the nice comment.:speak_cool: