Dave Williams

Photobucket surrenders?

All of my photos magically re-appeared in this Elite Gunner thread, so I assumed it was a PB "correction" of some sort. I've yet to check any of my other threads though. Since I never loaded the Firefox fix to allow me to see my own stuff, or the images of others, the fact that the photos are visible again, is cool, if not a bit too late for me to change my mind about doing business with them.

Some comments have been made right here in build threads that suddenly people could see their posted images again, so it sounds like there might be some substance to this rumour. Too little, too late, as far as I'm concerned. I hope it's true for the sake of everybody who still has accounts and photos with them, but they can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

Kev

Posted (edited)

Yup, received their email:

$1.99/mo

10GB of storage

3rd party hosting.

Sure looks like they lost a ton of customers after they tried screwing everyone. I moved over to ImageShack when this first happened and am very happy there and would NEVER go back to Photobucket

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I understood the need to charge - bandwidth and data centres cost lots of money - but the way it was implemented was absolutely appalling - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now.

I use my website now to post images and link from there (something I should have done long ago...)

Iain

I never used Photobucket but their business model was flawed and the the implementation of it was a deplorable way to treat customers. They get what they deserve and I hope their commercial people and now looking for new work.

$1.99/mo

10GB of storage

3rd party hosting.

Sure looks like they lost a ton of customers after they tried screwing everyone. I moved over to ImageShack when this first happened and am very happy there and would NEVER go back to Photobucket

Peter

Agreed. I too moved to IS and for a rather insignificant $20 per yer, am extremely satisfied with them. It's one thing that they resorted to extortion in the first place, which was way more than bad enough, but to then add fuel to the fire, disabled album downloads in an effort to prevent folks from running off by the thousands; two moronic decisions, back to back.

$1.99/mo

10GB of storage

3rd party hosting.

Peter

I tried this today and, after filing out all the info I clicked on "submit payment" and it told me "invalid upgrade plan." How can it be invalid, they (Photobucket) offered it ??!! WTF ??!! So meanwhile, my photos are still being held hostage.

Steve