Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smitty44

You guys see the old lady yet...

Guest Smitty44
Posted (edited)

...in all her glory. I love the way they did this display. Wheels up, Bombay doors open, ball turret down, just gorgeous. What a meticulous restoration.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/05/17/Restored-Memphis-Belle-debuts-on-anniversary-of-last-mission/1641526584610/

http://www.krqe.com/news/national/restored-wwii-bomber-memphis-belle-makes-public-debut-1/1185320170

FYXMtQK.jpg

Edited by Smitty44

Thank so for sharing this Smitty. She sure does look impressive. I really like the approach of showing her in flight mode. Not sure if this has ever been done before with a four engine bomber up until now?

Troy

Wow! I guess this means that now I don't have to weather my HKM Belle when I build it?

But that brings on another question. How many quality photos are out there of her after the 25 missions so we can see her weathered?

Guest Smitty44

She was a mess! There are a few books out there, and some can be googled. There is also the Memphis Belle Association. I'm getting my references together.

WKPCRoQ.jpg

She was a mess! There are a few books out there, and some can be googled. There is also the Memphis Belle Association. I'm getting my references together.

WKPCRoQ.jpg

What a great weathering job. And it is real, not contrived. That is a weathering job in a class by itself. 

It inspires me no end.

:punk:

OK, now that I have watched the video, I just have to go compare the kit decals with the narration about non-symmetrical markings.  If they are not accurate, I'm in for a set done right!

Guest Smitty44
Posted (edited)

OK, now that I have watched the video, I just have to go compare the kit decals with the narration about non-symmetrical markings.  If they are not accurate, I'm in for a set done right!

In replicating the Belle, I think the greatest challenge and thing to get past is all the sanitary roundish dark green blotches you see on her now, lot's of models and the like. Look at that pic, those are much much different than the blotches some are portraying. Kinda like they put a mop in some dark green paint and went to town! Edited by Smitty44

Or like a guy on a ladder with a spray gun trying to do his best not to fall, yet spray some kind of pattern within the reach of his arm.

Or like a guy on a ladder with a spray gun trying to do his best not to fall, yet spray some kind of pattern within the reach of his arm.

I'd be all over a set of accurate masks for this.

Im not usually a fan of aircraft hanging , but that is fantastic. What a great way yo show off the Belle

Im not usually a fan of aircraft hanging , but that is fantastic. What a great way yo show off the Belle

Same here, it's actually on three poles.