Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peterpools

Sold Out!

Guest Peterpools

I just love going to a website and what seems like item after item is listed as: sold out, OOP!

Just never understood the point: if the item is no longer available for sale and no longer made: remove it. How about just listing merchandise we can actually buy or merchandise that is backordered but will be available hopefully not to far in the future. Is it a hint to buy what’s available now or loose out or hunt for the item on eBay?

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Danny

Nothing specific but just something I run into a lot, mostly decals or AM

Peter

It's actually an arc with small manufacturers:

1. Fanatical amateur modeler discovers he/she can make something not otherwise available
  2. Amateur begins offering said item(s) online and they sell well
  3. Newly-minted professional realizes this is going to be a full-time job or gets bored making the same ****ing thing over and over
  4. Gradually the inventory sells out
  5. Regretful professional spends zero time updating website because it reminds said professional how unprofessional the company really was

I mean no offense to anyone out there who might fit this description. Heck, I used to make "housewives" for Civil War reenactors (basically a sewing kit). The first 5 I made were a hoot. The second 5 I made I couldn't believe I was selling them. The final 25 I made were a slog, so I got out of the racket. I never look at my one remaining housewife I use when I still reenact without saying "MAN, I am SOOOO glad I don't have to make another one of these." :m0152:

An avocation doesn't always translate into a vocation. It's why companies like Pastor John or Barracuda are the pleasant exception to above arc.

I for one appreciate them keeping these items posted on their website.  It helps find part numbers and descriptions for doing advanced searches on eBay or the internet in general.

Perfect example, my posting in the classifieds looking for Barracuda Studios decals.  When I did a Google search for "1/32 Aleutian Tiger Decals" Barracuda Studios website came up with the part number and exact description of what they called their product. 

Although out of production and out of stock, it is still providing very valuable information to assist me on the hunt.

Guest Peterpools

Scott

One good reason but how about listing the sold out products in a separate section on the site? Just helps those of us looking to buy current merchandise.

Peter

I can sort of relate to the story Bill told. I used to have my own business building architectural models back before the days of 3D printing and laser cutting. I figured it would be a natural out-growth of my hobby and my degree, and it was. However, I got so sick of building models, that I didn't build an airplane for years. Making a business out of a hobby often comes at a steep price.

Tim

However, I got so sick of building models, that I didn't build an airplane for years. Making a business out of a hobby often comes at a steep price.

Yep!  I have run a side commission business for a while now, and ever since 2011 I have stopped doing it on a more full time basis and started only taking commissions or builds of airframes and models I was passionate about. 

The days of building things I had ZERO interest in are over for me.   Indeed my favorite expression from my full time commission days I found was

"dont turn your hobby into a job, because then you just turned your passion into work"

Because it becomes exactly that when you have deadlines, complaints, requests and changes, all on a subject you are less than passionate about. It can lead to real feelings of dislike you previously had love for. 

Squadron is the WORST!

They frequently have items with the the words "special order" in the description, and it shows "In Stock", but what it means is its not in stock and they will order it for you...sometimes...sometimes it actually is in stock. ??????? :mental:  :shrug:

"available" is a bad word. It just means that they will order it for you, but they have no idea how long it will take, the standard lie is 2-4 weeks. 

I have done a ton of ordering with them, mainly because they are local and I can pick it up with no shipping. Last Time I ordered, I called to change one of the items before I picked it up, they flat out told me no. I would have to go through their returns process, even though I had not picked it up yet.

They can be frustrating with sometimes misleading website. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that can be HIGHLY annoying, as I dont usually feel like having to filter just to remove OOP items.

I'd be happy if most shops had a filter for things that are out of stock.  A lot of them don't.  The worst are online shops that don't show the stock status in the catalog view, but only in the item view.

Making a business out of a hobby often comes at a steep price.

Tim

Oh lord, yes.  I collected guns for years and finally decided to get my FFL to do gun sales as a side business.  After moving about a thousand guns in a 4 year period (and finally collecting my white whale of a gun), I was so burned out, I sold everything.  I rarely shoot and I'm no longer active in any gun forums, gun shows, whatever.

My dad keeps telling me I should enter some contests with my models, but I refuse.  I will not ruin another hobby for myself by setting deadlines, expectations, and attaching pressure to it.  

Edited by Gewehr 43

Worse than that is the websites that say call or contact for prices, if I wanted to call people I wouldn't be using the web, even if they were cheaper, I would never know, as I would move on to the next site where there would be a price.

Posted (edited)

My dad keeps telling me I should enter some contests with my models, but I refuse.  I will not ruin another hobby for myself by setting deadlines, expectations, and attaching pressure to it.  

Man, I hear that! That is also why I do not often compete. If I happen to finish something at a time that works out for a show I happen to be going to already, then I might throw it in there just to participate and see what helpful advice I might get, but I NEVER build one specifically for a show, or for anything else. Just for me.

I used to collect action figures from a well known sci-fi TV show, then I got into making custom figures for the same show for my personal collection. Then other people started wanting them, and I started getting paid to do it. For the same reasons you've already mentioned, I am totally sick of them now, and would happily hand off the entire collection for a pittance. I still make them on order for one collector or to throw on ebay occasionally to finance my other hobbies, but I don't keep any of them, and the collector understands it might take me months or more to finish them. Without that pressure I can do it sometimes.

Edited by BiggTim

Same attitude I had until I figured out what I was doing wrong in re: to contest...............

The key for me I found, was that I had been going into them with the wrong mindset. What ended up working for me is this:

"I am here to have fun, and I will NOT be winning anything. I am here to enter my model for others to look at it and get some enjoyment out of it, and for me to look at other peoples models. In the case of the NATs, its to hang out with all my friends and have some fun geeking out on models. If I win something, that is strictly gravy on the potatoes/frosting on the cake".

I'm tempted to open a professional channel for my 3D designs/prints  but having experienced my own past mini business (carbon fiber racing bicycles) it does start off with fun and great enthusiasm but is hard to keep that fire going in year 3-4. Can't really say it's a waste of time or anything but I totally get the fade.