Sign in to follow this  
STWilliams

EBay Pricing on Auctions

Has anybody else noted the growing propensity for EBay to sell kits and AM in a couple of ways?

1. Ludicrous pricing, like a Revell 190 for £50, or a Hasegawa 190 for £75, or a Tamiya Corsair for £165. These are next to auctions offering the same kit, exactly the same kit, for half the price.

2. Starting an auction at a ludicrously high price - which is already too much - and expecting people to bid even more.

Just cheeses me off.

Guest Peterpools

I really try to avoid auctions on eBay and look for fair pricing on items listed as ‘But it Now'. I also only buy using PayPal and with a fair return policy. Some of the pricing I've seen for kits, AM and photography gear I buy have been on the ridiculous side of reason.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Yeah, I dont bid on ANYTHING at all and stay to my buy-it-now's. Unless its something I think I can actually get without too much drama, I quit "sniping" quite a few years ago as it just got too hard, and too ridiculous. 

Auctions are frequently tedious wastes of time, but occasionally pay off.

I recently won a Revell F-4G from a seller I frequently buy from at 60% of the retail price (it started at 15%).

I was expecting a damaged box or some deficiency to account for the reduced price, but it was in pristine condition.

Instead of the normal free postage, there was a £3.00 charge which is very reasonable for such a large box.

Just last night eBay sent me a link for all Hasegawa 1/32 listings.  A LOT from Japan was listed at $300 and up.  I'm talking about $50 kits.  Of course this is now why I have a P-40E kit on the way.  :innocent:

To the best of my knowledge eBay sells nothing.  Sellers on eBay can put whatever stupid prices they want on their listed items.

A brand new entrant into the pedant shield competition! Jennings will have to raise his game.

EBay actually sells the ability to sell products on it's website. For every sale, EBay also makes a sale.

EBay can still produce absolute bargains, as long as you're careful. Avoid weekends, do some research, set your maximum bid realistically, walk away from bidding wars.

I dont bid on auctions either , just buy nows.  When i last listed stuff for actual auction i did 99p starting bid no reserve. They go for what they go for.

Guest Peterpools

Sure seems it's going First Class on a Gulfstream

Peter

I'm always,gob smacked by the people who bid very early, I can only think they 'get off' on the thrill of the chase,if they do intend to get the item they've effectively bid against themselves. Also I've seen some items overpriced and they quite literally have been on ebay for months! How obstinate can they be?

Graham