Sign in to follow this  
Maxim

Tamiya Not happy With Discounted Sales

Posted (edited)

Found this on Facebook today from internet Hobbies. Don't know how true it is. Tamiya state that resellers cannot sell below the Tamiya minimum advertised price. That means no more cheap Tamiya deals on the internet.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2382244215180880&set=gm.433028577121049&type=3&ifg=1

Edited by Maxim

I'm not sure that this is not just another marketing ploy on the part of Internet Hobbies. Outside of them, not a single other dealer has received this alleged "notification". Besides the fact, MAP is illegal in many countries like AUS. MAP is legal in the USA though, so maybe this is just a USA thing. If true, doesn't matter to me anyways as I don't get my Tamiya products from USA dealers! 

I'm not sure that this is not just another marketing ploy on the part of Internet Hobbies. Outside of them, not a single other dealer has received this alleged "notification". Besides the fact, MAP is illegal in many countries like AUS. MAP is legal in the USA though, so maybe this is just a USA thing. If true, doesn't matter to me anyways as I don't get my Tamiya products from USA dealers! 

Yep, that's what I was thinking perhaps Internet Hobbies pushing their own price plan and blaming Tamiya. I do know that it's illegal in AUS and good luck getting many Asian countries to comply. I buy all my Tamiya from Hong Kong as it's much cheaper than in AUS.

If suddenly I could not buy new Tamiya kit’s at a discount, it would make no difference to me. If i had to have a specific kit new I might have to pay a bit more now and then, but if it was a kit I could wait for, I would just buy it when someone resells. While I am highly loyal to Tamiya I buy as I choose.

I am not worried about a Tamiya death spiral over this, they are the most diversified company in the business. They also pick and choose smartly and deliver the best product to market. So if Tamiya dropped a new Hellcat and the best prices was $150.00 that would not stop me and a lot of others from buying one or more of them.

The Mosquito retails for 200 or more, I saw one sell on ebay last week at auction for about 150. Those are selling just fine.

Tamiya on sale at SPrue Brothers deal of the day

Thanks for the tip.  Just got a F4U-1D for a really good price.

Posted (edited)

Sounds like a bad thing if true. Just in case I ordered another F4U-1D and a -1A.

You guys know I'm not taking any chances on higher prices on the Corsairs. :)  Just a good idea to add to my stash of unbuilt Corsairs. :)

By the way, I need a canopy for a -1A. Somehow I lost the one in the kit I have. NO idea as to what happened to it.

PS: I see where SB has now sold out of the F4U-1D. Not at all surprised and I'm glad I ordered mine right away.

Edited by JohnB

Posted (edited)

This is perfectly legal and is used everywhere. Google "Minimum Advertised Price" or MAP. In Ireland, for example, there is a MAP on alcohol, meaning that you cannot advertise or sell alcohol below a certain price. 
I think that people misunderstand what this is about. Tamiya is not putting up their prices. Tamiya will not make more money from this. This does not change the normal retail price. Tamiya wants to make sure that if there is a sale, the sale discount cannot go below a certain threshold. Tamiya wants to make sure that a retailer cannot use Tamiya as a "loss leader". Google "loss leader". You will still get your discounted Tamiya kit in a sale, if there is a genuine sale, such as Black Friday or a Christmas Sale. 

This will protect honest traders from dodgy dealers and in turn it will protect the customers.

Radu 

Edited by Radub