Shizuoka hobby show - any new LSPs (aside from Wingnut)?

seiran01

Guest Maxim

I'm surprised that Tamiya have not yet produced an F-86F in 32 scale considering the JSDF used them for many years.That and a new F-14A in 32 scale would have me splurging out big time!

Guest Peterpools

It would be interesting to see how the sales of the Mossie kit actually met their expectations. Not saying it wasn't a money maker but maybe not worth the investment as compared to other aircraft scales.

Peter

Not a chance in being their highest price kit.  They just released the 1/12 Caterham Super Seven which retails much higher, lowest price on ebay right now is $334.00 retail is 350 plus.  Their big tank models also cost a lot more.  They are doing some pretty expensive 1/16 Armor kits.

True, and that's precisely why I said highest aircraft model price.

The big tank and car kits are impressive, but aren't those mostly R/C toys etc? Very different market.

Tony

The Armor kits have static versions which I think run $300 and up.

The 1/12 Car kits are full detailed Static models not R/C. They don't release a 1/12 car often. The latest I think was the Enzo Ferrari or the Porsche Cabrera GT. The Caterham is a reissue. Tamiya's 1/12 Car series goes back to the late 1960's and I would argue is the foundation that led to the 1/32 line of Aircraft as big cars and motorcycle kits are where Tamiya learned that big kits could sell. Before the Tomcat in 1/32 Tamiya had done several 1/6 Motorcycles and quite a few 1/12 big high detail car kits.

I had one of Tamiya's 1/6 Motorcyle engine kits once, these were issue as stand alone items from the Motorcycle kits, you really see that Tamiya was pushing boundaries in the 1970's that most manufacturers can't do or won't do today.

They haven't done a 1/12 car kit in awhile. I think the Enzo and Carerra GT were the last ones, and those weren't traditional kits, more of die-cast/kit hybrids.  Their F1 kits are from the 70s, and I think the Caterham is just as old.  Pretty sure they were originally motorized, since some of the F1 kits come with spots and adjustments for RC stuff

Matt 

Dear moderators,

Please punish those who have gone rogue on us and mentioned things with tread or car comments.  The next thing we'll be getting will be rivet spacing questions on Panther turret tanks!  ( Aren't the seams all welded anyway, welds don't rust)?  lol.   

Bunch of degenerates.     (all humor)...

Troy    

They haven't done a 1/12 car kit in awhile. I think the Enzo and Carerra GT were the last ones, and those weren't traditional kits, more of die-cast/kit hybrids. Their F1 kits are from the 70s, and I think the Caterham is just as old. Pretty sure they were originally motorized, since some of the F1 kits come with spots and adjustments for RC stuff

Matt

The F50 and 288GTO have metal bodies, the Enzo and Carrera GT are plastic with a metal chassis, similar to their 1/48 tanks.

The trio of F1 cars from the early '90s (McLaren, Williams, Ferrari) were static display only with full engines and working suspension.

The Caterham is from 1994 and is again, a full detailed static model. I just finished my original release version of the kit and have the reissue in the stash.

There are a couple of Porches that they did in the late 1970s (934 and 935) but you wouldn't know it looking at the detail levels and how well the moulds have held up.

Carl

The F50 and 288GTO have metal bodies, the Enzo and Carrera GT are plastic with a metal chassis, similar to their 1/48 tanks.

The trio of F1 cars from the early '90s (McLaren, Williams, Ferrari) were static display only with full engines and working suspension.

The Caterham is from 1994 and is again, a full detailed static model. I just finished my original release version of the kit and have the reissue in the stash.

There are a couple of Porches that they did in the late 1970s (934 and 935) but you wouldn't know it looking at the detail levels and how well the moulds have held up.

Carl

The Enzo and Carrera did not have Metal chassis, they built up from a plastic chassis that replicates the real car. I thought about buying one or both, so reviewed the instructions and on line materials I could find in great detail. Each builds up around a frame that replicates the construction of the carbon fiber tub in the real car, the only metal parts are springs, screws and some bits like that. They are actually more detailed versions of the 1/24 kits that Tamiya released of the same subjects. Those kits also build up from a chassis that replicates the actual car.

I know this digresses, like someone joked above, from LSP however, when I look at the big picture, I strongly believe that model making and design has to be looked at as an art and a technology. The two influence each other and you see this amazing development across years of Tamiya products that produce the amazing 1/32 airplanes we have received. Tamiya has never been afraid of big projects, and that is why we are discussing Car kits. I think the Car kits lead directly to the 1/32 Tomcat which in turn lead to the Phantom, F-15, Zero, Spitfire and so on. Their focus shifts over time and going back to the video from Andy's Hobby headquarters where he said reports are Tamiya is pulling back from 1/32 aircraft. We may be seeing a shift in focus for a while. Not saying they are going to make big car kits. Only that we may not see another 1/32 airplane for a while.

I look at Tamiya broadly because I really like a lot of different things. I enjoy a great car kit as much as a great plane kit. Their 300SL was amazing from a few years ago. Hopefully if we don't get another 1/32 plane for a while we will get one or more again in the years to come but we should not count on anything this year or next year, maybe longer. To me their 1/32 planes are hands down the best models of any kind ever released in plastic. Especially starting with the Spitfire IX going foreword. I am not a big fan of the Spitfire IX airplane but I think the Tamiya kit is one of the greatest plastic models ever designed.

All well said. The comment above, is certainly spot on. The majority of people however, simply do not have the space to build and display a twin engine mossie, let alone a Lancaster. Seriously, both are awesome to own, build and display, For me personally, I'm an expat living abroad. I can't conceivably contemplate a four engine bomber let alone a twin to collect, build or display in my limited apartment space. This observation I would imagine stops a lot of serious modelers from buying these kits. Japan of all countries (it would seem) should know this fact more than anyone else. (?) The mossie was a brilliant addition to theTamiya portfolio. No doubt. Perhaps a marketing effort that is flawed was the decision in thinking all the LSP builders should/ could build and display these larger aircraft.

Im confident in mentioning there are several single engine WWII aircraft that could be brought to fruition that could out sell a Mossie two or three to one. A6M3 a P-51B and the list goes on and on and on..

Just a minor comment and not to discourage the collectors out there.

The Enzo and Carrera did not have Metal chassis, they built up from a plastic chassis that replicates the real car. I thought about buying one or both, so reviewed the instructions and on line materials I could find in great detail. Each builds up around a frame that replicates the construction of the carbon fiber tub in the real car, the only metal parts are springs, screws and some bits like that. They are actually more detailed versions of the 1/24 kits that Tamiya released of the same subjects. Those kits also build up from a chassis that replicates the actual car.

They did different versions. The original releases were hybrid kits with metal chassis, and then they released full plastic kits later. And they also released full die-cast versions that you just had to assemble

Matt