Sign in to follow this  
CANicoll

Tuskegee Airman remains found?

From the History Channel

The remains found at a crash site in Hohenturn, Austria, could be those of Captain Lawrence E. Dickson, who disappeared in his P-51 Mustang on 23 December 1944, during his 68th combat mission with the 100th Fighter Squadron. The US Defence POW/MIA Accounting Agency emphasize that they are still testing the remains but there is circumstantial evidence that this is the site where Captain Dickson crashed.

Lawrence Dickson was born in South Carolina on 1 January 1920. He was decorated multiple times during his service, earning the Air Medal with 4 Oak Leaf clusters, the Distinguished Flying Cross and Purple Heart among others.

The U.S. Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency emphasizes that it is still testing the remains found at the crash site to determine if they are Dickson's. But circumstantial evidence has offered hope for his daughter, Marla L. Andrews (Phyllis Dickson passed away in December 2017). The crash site in Hohenthurn is a few miles away from where his plane was last seen in Italy, and contains plane debris consistent with a P-51, the plane Dickson was flying. In addition, German records report that a P-51 plane crashed at that site the day that Dickson disappeared.

The details of Dickson's service are illustrative of the bravery and perseverance Tuskegee Airmen displayed while fighting a war for a country that actively devalued them. Dickson was on his 68th mission for the U.S. Army Air Forces, a precursor to the Air Force, when his P-51 Mustang went down. If Dickson were white, he would have already qualified for R&R leave (a “rest and recuperation†break) after his 50th mission. But as a black pilot, he was still short of the 70 missions needed before he could take some R&R.

Just read about this in the local newspaper the other day before my trip to the US. They got the spelling wrong in the article: it should read Hohenthurn. It's not far from where we live! There have been numerous wrecks found in Austria over the last thirty years - a friend of mine discovered a P-38J crash where the family and US recovery team came to collect the remains. He also discovered a FW-190F crash site, and a Me-109G6 crash site. All that were found were the steel pieces - engine blocks and bones etc.

He also found a B-24 crash site that had several .50cal guns in various stages of decay - dogtags were found as were several pieces of jewellery (rings etc.). The a/c was identified as were the crew remains.

Very interesting finds actually!

Cheers

Alan

Ps: Austria is very reluctant to have any traces of confirmation that the Second World War actually happened - very disheartening to see...

Ps: Austria is very reluctant to have any traces of confirmation that the Second World War actually happened - very disheartening to see...

Alan,

Why would they do that.... cannot imagine the heartache for the families whose sons,brothers, fathers, cousins etc ended up dying in WWII and their sacred remains ending up in Austria.and denying the very existence of a WWII.

Shameful for a modern nation.

;)

Yes here is hoping to bring him home in honor

I do not know much of the lands of Austria - there must be much isolated areas? I assume the mountains hide these crashes even so long after the war?

Correct me if I am wrong  but I understand that Japan is also reluctant to discuss WW2 and their activities in it. 

The official stance of Austria is that they were a victim of WWII.... they haven't come to terms with it yet... although eye witness accounts and photos of the period clearly indicate otherwise... given not everybody was 100% buying into the doctrine and ideologies of the time...

Cheers

Alan

There are active forces at work in Austria to erradicate any symbols of WWII... the hangars that were built after 1938 are now being declared unsafe eventhough they are protected as historic structures... somebody or some people want them gone possibly to be able to remove any evidence that the Luftwaffe operated from Austrian soul... what they fail to realise is that the more they bury it under denial - the easier it would be to repeat similar attrocities in the future...

Cheers

Alan

Guest Maxim

As they say " Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Guest Martinnfb

Sucks to be in denial when the name of your country is öster reich........ pun intended, and apology for getting political.