B-17G Little Miss Mischief

Uncarina

Great work, Tom!

Something useful for when you come to add the doors back onto the radio room bulkheads... the rear bulkhead door has the hinges on the wrong side. If you're looking forward to the rear radio room bulkhead as if standing on the ball turret, the hinges should be on the left. If memory serves me correctly, HK moulded them on the right so they need flipping over.

Tom

Tom, thanks! I wouldn't have caught this. Was there any rule to how many and what kind of seats were installed on the right side of the radio compartment?

Tom

Tom

Nice work on the bulkhead and thanks for the heads up on the part fix with the older G kit. Is there a way to know which kit actually has the retrofit?

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Peter, thanks! I found it easier than just adding covers to the cutouts on the bulkhead, since these would have been harder to blend in. Regarding the retrofit, I'm not sure. If there's a way to date the kit you have, I would presume those issued after the E/F release would have them.

Cheers, Tom

An update on the radio compartment:

—scribed the floor to denote the antiskid section and the target camera cover

—removed the door hinges from the starboard rear bulkhead

—addressed sink marks on the bulkheads

—painted all surfaces with Tamiya AS-12 silver

—masked and painted wood surfaces Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan

—masked and painted the antiskid XF-85 Rubber Black

—painted the radio equipment walls

—added the Eduard part

—coated all surfaces with Quickshine (an alternate to Future)

—added the Uschi wood decals. Making the floors with cutouts was tricky, and I am saving the decal backing to use as templates for my next B-17:

oq0DVSB.jpg

—added another coat of Quickshine, then when dry used a Flory Dark Dirt wash

—weathered the antiskid with pastels

—rigged and added the earphones and Morse code transmittor.

The pics:

kNJBI7t.jpg

n4WomVn.jpg

ZYOfozS.jpg

5CxsoHs.jpg

s6oSKMZ.jpg

Cheers, Tom

Carl,

Thanks! I've never used those decals before, but the more I use them the more impressed I've been. I used aluminum foil and trial and error to make the right template, then used it to make the left, which went a bit faster.

Cheers, Tom

Troy,

Thank you! That's how I've been looking at it as well: each compartment is its own kit. At the same time, I'm wondering how much of the Eduard interior photoetch I will use on the E/F kit. The front end and cockpit for sure, but I'm not yet sure how much of the radio and waist gunners compartments can be seen through the windows. I appreciate your support!

Cheers, Tom

You better slow down Tom, you're moving way too fast! You aren't allowed to catch up to me :-P

Looking great. Keep it up!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Dennis, I've been pretty lucky to have the time lately, but it goes away next month when I head to the Outback for four weeks. Thanks for your advice and support!

Cheers, Tom

Radio room looks really good! I don't know about the G but the F has a box mounted an the right side wall for the 50 cal bullets to the Radio's gun mounted in the overhead. 

Cheers...Ron

Thanks Ron! Hope your build is going well. The Eduard set includes this ammo bin. Right now I'm working on the doors and prepping the fuselage sidewalls.

Looking really good!!  Love the wood floor decals.  Perfect.  Chris

Chris, thanks, I appreciate it! I love those Uschi decals as well. I understand they now come with low-tack tracing paper. This will make working with them even easier.

Cheers, Tom