Sign in to follow this  
dashotgun

the post of the bikes got me thinking how about we post our cars?

Guest Martinnfb

68 Vette !

tenor.gif

Guest Airfixer
Posted (edited)

qkwgQ2G.jpg

After two years (and three test drives), the deal was sealed yesterday, and the modded Shelby was sold to a U.S. collector and fellow Mustang afficionado.

From the U.S. to Germany and back... The Shelby is coming full circle.

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Airfixer
Posted (edited)

The 2018 Bullitt edition's sales start in Europe is scheduled for June.

I must admit that I'm kind of struggling with the current Mustang VI series. Way too "European" for my taste.

From my personal point of view as a gearhead, the Mustang VI lacks the technical simplicity/no-frills character of its predecessor.

Besides, I love the retro-look of the Mustang V series much more, being closely reminiscent of 1967-1970 2nd and 3rd generation Mustangs.

Edited by Airfixer

Posted (edited)

Besides, I love the retro-look of the Mustang V series much more, being closely reminiscent of 1967-1970 2nd and 3rd generation Mustangs.

That's why i prefer the lines of the Challenger rather than the Mustang. Very modern but very retro at the same time in my opinion, i really like what Dodge did with this car. Love it !

The modern Charger is cool but have nothing in common with the first Charger generations, though.

Edited by Zero77

Guest Martinnfb

I can't agree more, the new Challenger is one of the best retro attempts on the market and still carries the spirit of muscle-car era. On the other side 6th generation Mustang has very little to do with classic Pony car and to slap green coat of paint on it together with AM thrust wheels doesn't change that :)

I must admit that I'm kind of struggling with the current Mustang VI series. Way too "European" for my taste.

From my personal point of view as a gearhead, the Mustang VI lacks the technical simplicity/no-frills character of its predecessor.

I'll take my 2017 GT over my old 1972 "Q" Code Mach 1 and my old 2002 GT convertible any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Curb weight is a bit higher in the 17 but gas mileage is much better.  Brakes are much better.  Multi link independent rear suspension makes for a better ride.  435 hp vs 275 hp (72) and 265 hp (02).  The selectable drive and steering modes are nice features.  I think the front end on the 17 is the nicest looking grille on a Mustang ever.  While I liked my 72 and 02 Mustangs, the 17 is my favourite.

1968 Vette, L68 427/400hp engine.

Hey ! that's like what's in my '56, 1969 L36 390hp  :)

R26f9Nd.jpg?1

Posted (edited)

LOL! Do you even know the history of the Mustang? All design elements for the first car were taken from European cars of the '60's. Front end and grill design was derived from a Ferrari.

Cut from Wiki, but mentioned in all Mustang articles dealing with the original design...

The Lincoln–Mercury design studio ultimately produced the winning design in the intramural contest, under Project Design Chief Joe Oros and his team of L. David Ash, Gale Halderman, and John Foster.[9][10]

In a 2004 interview, Oros recalls the planning behind the design:[11]

“ I told the team that I wanted the car to appeal to women, but I wanted men to desire it, too. I wanted a Ferrari-like front end, the motif centered on the front — something heavy-looking like a Maseratti [sic], but, please, not a trident — and I wanted air intakes on the side to cool the rear brakes. I said it should be as sporty as possible and look like it was related to European design.

Edited by ScottsGT

Guest Martinnfb

Yes, indeed and the logo was created by Hungarian dude, but that era is long gone.

Since the end of the 70's Mustang was struggling  to regain status of a muscle car and infiltration of MAZDA didn't help either.

6 generation is the first one that can be called a modern sports car on par with overseas production vehicles, even then,, the design was borrower from Aston Martin that Ford briefly owned few years back. :)

Long story short, there is not much left from the original era and I like it that way.

Yesterday, I was playing with the cooling system in my Fox and was shocked how crude and backdated the whole thing is, and if I remember correctly fox body kicked in around 1979 as a parallel to modern European compacts. ( have to admit that the 4 cylinder turbo was awesome move ) , but still,,,,YUCK ! ......wanna buy it ? :)  :punk:

Guest Airfixer
Posted (edited)

LOL! Do you even know the history of the Mustang? (...)

I do. (LOL)

Anyway, thanks for the lecture.

Edited by Airfixer