FineMolds Resin Seat Belts

Hi,

I know someone here on LSP recently used the FM 32nd scale resin seat belts, and they need to be dunked in hot water to soften enough so that they can be bent to conform to the curves and undulations in aircraft seats.

Has anyone tried heating these up in water in a styrofoam cup, in a microwave oven? I wonder if it might speed things up, or if it might irreparably damage the belts. I don't know if the resin detail has much of a "memory" when it cools and sets up in a 'bent' state.

Curious as to what the studio audience might think of this approach.

david

Hi,

I know someone here on LSP recently used the FM 32nd scale resin seat belts, and they need to be dunked in hot water to soften enough so that they can be bent to conform to the curves and undulations in aircraft seats.

Has anyone tried heating these up in water in a styrofoam cup, in a microwave oven? I wonder if it might speed things up, or if it might irreparably damage the belts. I don't know if the resin detail has much of a "memory" when it cools and sets up in a 'bent' state.

Curious as to what the studio audience might think of this approach.

david

I haven't tried these belts but usually you can heat up a cup of water, (I use a coffee cup with about two minutes of high heat), dip in for about a minute bend to shape until it cools. This works on thin parts, at least with my resin, some of the other more brittle, smelly stuff won't work as well.

Edited by Harold

Are they actually resin? I thought they were a form of plastic. Mr Crosby has used them and I think he used hot water to bend them but Thierry's suggestion would be my starting point were I to try them. Might be worth carving a piece of the sprue down to the same thickness as the belt to give you a closer proxy than a big chunk of sprue.

Guest Clunkmeister

I've tried them and I like them.  But they're not even close to the scale fidelity of HGW, in my opinion.  I think they'd be great in a closed cockpit, but with opened up stud, the excess thickness of the belts themselves would be apparent.

I don't think they're anything even coming close to HGW, but I understand how many detest assembling the fiddly little PE parts with HGW, and these are a very viable second solution.

I've tried them and I like them.  But they're not even close to the scale fidelity of HGW, in my opinion.  I think they'd be great in a closed cockpit, but with opened up stud, the excess thickness of the belts themselves would be apparent.

I don't think they're anything even coming close to HGW, but I understand how many detest assembling the fiddly little PE parts with HGW, and these are a very viable second solution.

Exactly, I bought them for my quick builds. I have Radu, Eduard, and HGW for some builds, but when I just want to ythrow a quickie together, these will work fine. 

Guest Clunkmeister

I just can't get past the thickness of them. And you can't "drape" them like you can HGW or RB belts.

I don't think they're anything even coming close to HGW.

RB paper belts are, even if they are made of plain paper without any print. But i think the texture of paper is more in scale than the fabric texture of the HGW belts. They are also easier to put in shape with just a few drops of water to wet the paper.

And they are cheaper, too.

Edited by Zero77

What's the difference between these two HGW sets?? The description is the same on both, but they're clearly different.

Vvebbh.png

The first set is precut for you. The second one are the earlier style they made where they're printed but not cut out.

There's a even newer version now coming out where they're printed on both sides.

Carl

Guest Clunkmeister

RB paper belts are, even if they are made of plain paper without any print. But i think the texture of paper is more in scale than the fabric texture of the HGW belts. They are also easier to put in shape with just a few drops of water to wet the paper.

And they are cheaper, too.

There's several people on here who's opinion I trust without reservation. You all known who you are, and you're one of the them.

Based upon your word, sir, I'll try some. :)