Not another Mustang!

Straight answer?

Difficult!

It's not well researched at all. But it's the only kit of a B/C you can get your hands on so it's either build it or bin it. I chose the former, seeing it as a challenge.

At the moment I've had a couple of days away from it but today I'm ready to go back and throw a few more insults at it! The wings and canopy parts should be on today, a whole week later than planned. Might even get some more primer on it so it has an even coat. It's patchy at the moment as I'm using primer as a fault finder!

I will finish the model, one way or another. It will be a C on test flight at Dallas, fin number 325148. Masks are drawn and cut ready to go, all I need is will power.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Here's the canopy parts going on:

28578623178_8764184386_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And the wings and tailplanes:

42401409972_d6d08162e6_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Vallejo 401 Plastic Putty in front of the windscreen part.

Now we wait for the cement and filler to dry then some clean up. No turning back now!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Bruce, Nice job sticking with the kit and taking what it gives you - nice work!  I have not build the Trumpeter kit but did build the Dragon and early Revell B/C so your comments evoked similar memories.

Looks like you have a nice fit of the fuselage to the wings - congrats!  Keep up the good work!

Chris

:popcorn:

Hi Guys,

A couple of days in the doldrums but now back at the spray booth.  Badger Stynylrez Grey Primer applied with a Badger Krome airbrush at 25 psi.  This is my "everyday" airbrush, used for most jobs but for really fine stuff I use Olympos Micron or Gunze PS770 which have better atomisation.

But at least it's a start!

42491640011_9b40de78a0_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

42491639411_1ce0f37c36_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Having one of THOSE days at Crosby Towers!  I hate natural metal finishes!  This is my second attempt, the first being the Revell D which was, at best, reasonable.  I just wish I had written down what colours I used as this time it's not happening.  Yes, the MMP Silver (MMM-006) went on in about three thin layers to replicate the Aluminium Lacquer paint on the wings and fabric covered surfaces.  It looked very dark and I thought "Oh oh" but as luck would have it, it looks great now it's dried.  That's half the fun of using MMP, you never know what's going to happen with it as first looks can be deceiving.

Then I got to the flaps, which are still separate items.  Airbrushed them with MMP Faded Aluminium (MMM-003) and it went all grey and dark and I just didn't like it.  AND I PANICKED!!!!

So I threw on some Vallejo Aluminium (77.701) to see what that would do.  Mistake!  It's like somebody turned the sun on, WAY too bright! More panic and then I started to think.  So I went back to the MMP Faded Aluminium and added a drop of their Chrome (MMC-001), took a deep breath and airbrushed it over the ultra-bright Vallejo.

And I think I've found my mix of scale-effect sheet Aluminium colour. Ten drops of Faded Aluminium with one or two drops of Chrome.

Now I'm going to clean up the airbrush and call it a day.  The metallic paints can cure overnight then tomorrow I can spend time de-tacking Tamiya Tape and mask off the work I've done today and start airbrushing individual panels with different metal colours.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

You're making this look so easy that I am very tempted to try it myself. There's just something about those B/C Mustang lines... Oh well, I probably shouldn't though... :D

Greets, Jonas

Edit: Sorry, just read about your paint problems! Glad you got it figured out now, I'm looking forward to seeing your results!

Edited by holzemjo

Hi Guys,

Well, the painting has started in earnest.  I mask up the wings that I painted yesterday and sprayed everything else with MMP White Aluminium.  That will give me a good base to shade the panels with other metallic tints.

The Silver wings:

42511381141_3ac65d60d7_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Starting the masking: 

41610506905_0677122f3d_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Wings masked:

42512692531_4c1fb65673_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Underneath:

40704770200_56f1645319_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Now with MMP White Aluminium as a base for further metallic colours:

40705802670_d82e4908fd_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Now it can sit and cure and the MMP Polyurethane additive can do its work.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

Still struggling with the Mustang.  I've spent ages masking up panels and throwing on paint  AND causing untold damage to the existing paint.  I HATE NMF!  By their very nature metallic paints are fragile and even with the cotton gloves on, there's still damage.  Oh well.

One thing is for certain: I won't be using the Stars'n'Bars stencils I've designed and cut, can't afford to have them lifting the paint, so back to decals from somewhere.  

In the meantime, here's progress so far:

Masking tape by the ton!

40747022500_310939dfdb_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Hopefully you'll see the slight differences in metal colour shades.  Still a lot more masking and painting to do.

42504123432_bdcbee30b2_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Going to have a lunch break but here's an update from the last post a short while ago.

42557054521_701c23f615_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

I used Tamiya tape I had on the airframe earlier today, still got it's edge and it's already de-tacked, to block out the fin which then had some MMP Dull Aluminium mixed with a little of their Chrome airbrushed on.  I pulled off the tape fairly quickly as this was just a mist coat to alter the panel colour.  Airbrush used was an Olympos Micron as it has superb atomisation, just right for a light coat.

I like the MMP White Aluminium as a base for other tinted coats of metallic paint. Its seems to work really nicely with an overspray of Dull + Chrome, next we'll have some Dural.

Regards.

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Still haven't had my break but that's modelling for you!  It gets you involved!

Here's the tail assembly with the masking removed.  The tailplane panels now have the white aluminium plus chrome airbrushed on, next will be masking up to spray the trim tabs. 

42557659421_954f94d6c9_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And the rest of the masking removed so I can get to other areas. 

42557629801_3ac76d401c_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Now I'm having a break!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby