Encouraging News re: a 1/32 TBD Devastator

Bill M.

My adoptive father was an RAF nav on a post war Wellington with pilot John Kemp. They flew the Army General and his staff around Bulgaria as part of Air Attaché duties there in 1946-47. The Wimpy was finished in overall aluminium dope with two stars and General (in cyrillic) painted in red. With all the redundant wartime military crap removed and the turrets faired over it looked very elegant.

I think Mr Hong Kong Models (Neil?) likes a moulding challenge which is why the old corrugated tin Auntie Junkers appealed. The geodetic airframe of the Wellington would be a similar challenge. If I was alive to see it, I'd hope he's consider the Lockheed YF-12 and SR-71 for similar reasons.

I believe HpH are the most likely avenue for the TBD, but they might struggle selling a hundred, their minimum. The Trumpeter listing is just a place holder, though something of a tradition now. Bit like getting out the Christmas tree in December.

Tony

HpH got burnt when Revell released the Ar 196, can't see anyone attempting a Devastator, which like the long-listed Intruder might be released within a short space of time by Trumpeter, it's a financial gamble only a fool would contemplate.

I really don't that a TBD would be much of a “financial gamble†at all. No more than say a Kingfisher, T-28, Wildcat or Dauntless— all of which have been successfully released. The TBD is a legendary aircraft with a legendary history. I think it would sell quite well.

Bill M.

To give you an idea of numbers on 'small' aircraft, the Spiteful sold about 120 kits and the Seafang about 60. I think the trouble is a lot of people don't build the kits so others unless they see them in the flesh at a show or such like don't appreciate the quality of the kit.

Graham

A tid bit of history on the TBD. It only few in 2 combat engagements - Coral Sea and Midway May and June 1942 respectively. Of the 42 TBD's launched at Midway 6 actually made it back to carriers 4 of them from the Enterprize. After that they were replaced by TBF Avengers and used for pilot training on shore bases. They were also one of the last planes without shoulder straps and only had lap belts.

They are the only aircraft not preserved for history, in any way, that flew combat in WWII.

That idea is hit and miss at best. Trumpy has earned a reputation for semi-shoddy shape, fit, and detail. I am of the belief that they have the molds cut, and are sitting on them.

I'd like to see the kit released and have it be an "A" team production, but not holding my breath on either count.

It doesnt make sense to me for Trumpeter or anyone to have cut molds (I'm talking final production molds) and just sit on them. You've already spent a considerable amount of money cutting steel molds, and the only way to recoup the investment is to sell the kit. Even if it's not a big seller, making a little money back is better than making no money at all.

The TBD only fought in a few battles, and almost all of the planes were lost. This is precisely why we would build that model. Ensign George Gay had a close up view of what happened when all of his squadron went down and the SBD's took over the job. The TBD's pulled fighter cover low and the SBD's had free reign to deal destruction on the Japanese carriers. That action is why we want a TBD.

And they really look fine in yellow wings, which is why I'd buy any other yellow winged sibling of theirs.

Tnarg

It doesn't make sense to me for Trumpeter or anyone to have cut molds (I'm talking final production molds) and just sit on them. You've already spent a considerable amount of money cutting steel molds, and the only way to recoup the investment is to sell the kit. Even if it's not a big seller, making a little money back is better than making no money at all.

Unless they're waiting for the demand/market prices to jump so they can gouge you like Tamiya that has a $200+ average per 1/32 scale release.

The Chinese have a long history of being patient. 

Remember they're being asked to cater to our sentimental/historical whims, not we to theirs.

That leaves the key question which is how much can they get us to pay.

Edited by Gigant

Maybe it's time for a collaborative production, with the age of CAD it should be possible for two or three of us smaller manufacturers to make up a kit. Hopefully with the combined marketing reach we might get more sales than the '100' and also perhaps more interest in our own products.

Graham