New HpH DC-3 Pics up!!

Guest Maxim

Guest Clunkmeister

Jennings, I'm not certain, but the right hand door on a prewar production aircraft was, as far as I know, only a DST thing.  Possibly offered later?

But as the DST was  the original "DC-3" development aimed to be a bigger, longer ranged, faster, sleeper berth version of the DC-2, Douglas actually had to re-engineer the DST to standard coach configuration, and adding the left door back as per the DC-2.

I love this kind of stuff.

It's an odd one alright, 50/50 od and metal, RAAF Squadron, Dutch markings and a VH reg - I think I've just been sold on getting a DC-3, it's too weird not to do :)

Well actually something similar to what happened to the promised delivery of Buffalos to the dutch, but due to war situations the aircraft were delivered to the aussies.....

My first commercial flight was on a Trans Texas DC-3 in the summer of 1957 from Victoria to Houston where I transferred over to Braniff (DC-7) on my way to the Great Lakes Naval recruit training center.  The pilot followed highway 59 just about the whole way, flying fairly low.  Fell in love or should I say 'lust' with the stewardess.  What a beauty she was.  I was just a typical 18 year old, young, dumb, and full off--- well, you get the picture.

Wish it was styrene instead of resin.  I tend to shy away from resin.

Edited by Patrick HMD

Guest Maxim

I thought someone may might have commented on the landing gear pic? If you look carefully you can see the metal rod where the resin hasn't covered it completely. I hope they get this right in the final kit.

Guest Clunkmeister

No, it was an airline option.  IIRC American's DC-3s and DSTs had RH doors.  Most others had LH doors.

Well the only thing I know for certain then is that all DSTs had right side doors, due to the sleeper berth arrangement.

But there weren't many DSTs made. Right away as soon as the airlines realized the potential of the DST size, they wanted the Super DC-2 and they got it.

And all prewar DC-3s and DSTs were Wright powered.

Guest Clunkmeister

I think they may have mistakenly molded Prop gravel spray reinforcing panels on the fuse at the prop line.  Isn't that a Cdn bush plane mod?

Nice catch, Ron. But today it's so common as to almost be normal.

It might have been on C-47s as well? I have no clue.

Guest Clunkmeister

The most miserable flight of my life was in a cargo DC-3. I was riding the jumpseat, and both the two crew smoked like bloody chimneys. I pulled the curtain open and begged one of those clowns to slide open a window. No dice.....

It get so freaking blue haze thick in that thing I went back and slept in a strapped down Lund aluminum boat.

Guest Clunkmeister

Douglas DST. Some basic modifications needed

image-L.jpg

image-L.jpg

Notice the lack of a left door and the Pullman style upper berth windows. These were the very first "DC-3s" ever made.

DST front. Notice the Wright engine cowl and scoop differences. The military Pratts definitely looked more powerful and a smoother cowl shape, but the Wrights are the original DC-3 engine.

These are almost extinct today. Not easily modified for freight, they got pensioned off early.

image-L.jpg

Compared to a normal DC-3. Pratt powered.

image-L.jpg

Early DC-3s lacked the astrodome, a pure military addition.

Edited by Clunkmeister