Mirage IIICZ - Low Vis (Italeri 1:32)

Madmax

In the dying throes of the Mirage IIICZ's service in the SAAF, they were painted in a low visibility scheme which was really just a test for the Mirage F1's paint. It looked fantastic.

Mirage%20III%20CZ%20809%20%20Louis%20Tri

(Photo courtesy of Daan Conradie)

Since the squadron was busy closing down, pilots got to paint their names under the windscreen. Mark Edwards got No 802. His ground crew painted the MAD MAX and a hand gesture on the tail for him, but it wasn't to last. On a foggy day she went into the Atlantic - due to slipsteam, a spin, and fortunately a well judged ejection. My "Madmax" has nothing to do with this aircraft, but rather my middle name. Pure coincidence.

IMG_0923-XL.jpg

This kit needs no introduction here, as ericg has done all the hard work for us already. It certainly builds into a convincing Mirage III.

IMG_4736-XL.jpg

IMG_4872-XL.jpg

IMG_4752-XL.jpg

IMG_4744-XL.jpg

IMG_4789-XL.jpg

IMG_4805-XL.jpg

IMG_4800-XL.jpg

IMG_4774-XL.jpg

Very nice, I have been wanting to build a low viz CZ for a long time!

Some quick questions: Is the underside pattern you used a guesstimate or do you have some records of the pattern? Also, on some pics it looks like the wings, at least the tops, don't have castles, what's your take on that?

Cheers,

Marcel

Very nice, I have been wanting to build a low viz CZ for a long time!

Some quick questions: Is the underside pattern you used a guesstimate or do you have some records of the pattern? Also, on some pics it looks like the wings, at least the tops, don't have castles, what's your take on that?

Cheers,

Marcel

Hi Marcel

I have a couple of photos of CZ number 801 in this scheme, out of service and faded to pink/grey colours but clearly showing the "Castle" markings on the upper wings.

The darker grey has faded to a strange pink colour wich is clearly visible on the wheel doors and can just be made out on some of the underside of the wing too just where you would expect it to be for this scheme.

In some photos some aircraft appear to have no wing "Castle" insignia although if you look carefully :) there does appear to be some colour disturbance in that area where they should be but cant tell for sure. So some definitely had and some may not have had wing insignia. I dont have a picture hosting membership yet so unable to post pics at the moment.

Greg

While not showing the underside, this is the best I can do for now

Notice what appears to be a very faded "Castle insignia" outline on the port wing of 807 in this pic, also the colour of the wheel door 

http://www.saairforce.co.za/seed/public/files/gallery/3/9/39/5863bcdf72826_large.jpg

Here 801 very faded and out of service but Castle very clearly seen on the port wing

http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2536

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to this post, much appreciated!

Now, more specifically - Marcel, yes, the underside is a guesstimate based on the upper pattern. From the limited evidence I have it appears that all the CZ's had over-sprayed castles in the standard positions for the time, including upper and lower wings.

The RZ's were a different kettle of fish. 835 didn't appear to have any insignia and you may have seen this wing from above? Here is a photo of 835 in Hoedspruit (Daan Conradie photo). 837 was also given a low vis paint job (in three grey shades like the F1), but it had all its insignia in place!

Mirage%20IIIRZ%20835%20HSPT%201986%277-1

aircare84, the belts were done with good old-fashioned foil from a wine bottle - versatile stuff. The lap straps are from the kit's etched parts.

IMG_4252-XL.jpg

Greg, thanks for your considered input and somewhat more prompt reply to Marcel's question!

After a conversation with Cheetah11, I would like to add that the low vis camo was part of a project to prolong the useful lifespan of the Mirage III's in the SAAF. It also included the somewhat vital installation of RWR receivers, chaff and flare dispensers, and rewiring the missile systems to take more modern air to air missiles. As luck would have it, the "Bush War" probably ended just as the last update was done.

Sean