Proposal for a Night Fighters Group Build.

BradG

How about the Fly Hurricane? This is the one I really want to build, there are two version in my boxing, camo on top, with the black wing below (battle of Britain night operations, as well as all black with red letters. Also, what about the Mossie bomber with night paint? Im probab;ly leaning toward the Hurricane though...

With the best will in the world, a Mossie bomber, even in night paint, is not a night fighter! :)  A night-fighting Hurricane though would be fantastic!

Count me in for certain Brad, thinking of doing another 110 (probably an E ,not a G-4 though, one is enough!) and maybe something smaller and single engined if I have the time.

Regards. Andy

Good on you Andy, I'm sure you'll be able to slip in a shot or two of your G-4 somewhere along the line though!

How about the Fly Hurricane? This is the one I really want to build, there are two version in my boxing, camo on top, with the black wing below (battle of Britain night operations, as well as all black with red letters. Also, what about the Mossie bomber with night paint? Im probab;ly leaning toward the Hurricane though...

As long as the aircraft is painted up for being used in primarily night operations, then it's in. Even Luftwaffe night fighters were pressed into daylight operations in the end, with disastrous results. 

With the best will in the world, a Mossie bomber, even in night paint, is not a night fighter! :)  A night-fighting Hurricane though would be fantastic!

I know, but opening up a little will encourage more participation....so if someone was keen enough to do a Lancaster, go for it.

Edited by BradG

I've been doing some research this evening. What's the first night fighter victory? Who did it first?

So far the earliest I've found is Reginald Alexander (Rex) John Warneford destroyed Zeppelin LZ.37 on June 7th, 1915.

http://acepilots.com/wwi/zeppelin.html

Looks to be the easiest plane to scratch build ever. I have the Windsock Datafile. I can use that to whip this out of plastic card.

BritishMSLGroundBack.jpg

I'd be in with a couple He 219s.  I'm not sure on the whole 6 months build window.  Stretch that out a bit to around 10 - 15 years then I might be able to accomplish something.  Might.  At best.

Just do one Uhu Nicholas then you'll only take half your estimated time!

Not the bomber version No, but you did get a Mossie night fighter. 

M222.jpg

Hi Guys,

I don't suppose the Revell 262 I just finished will count?  Thought not.

But there's plenty more in the pile: Z-M and Revell He 219 kits, another Revell 262, Tamiya Mossie, etc. Just remembered there are two Hobby Boss P-61 kits in the stash with resin and etch to build both A and B models!

So I'm in with a TBA if that's OK.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

I've been doing some research this evening. What's the first night fighter victory? Who did it first?

So far the earliest I've found is Reginald Alexander (Rex) John Warneford destroyed Zeppelin LZ.37 on June 7th, 1915.

http://acepilots.com/wwi/zeppelin.html

Looks to be the easiest plane to scratch build ever. I have the Windsock Datafile. I can use that to whip this out of plastic card.

BritishMSLGroundBack.jpg

It is, it was my first scratchbuild:

finals-3.JPG

Drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you a vac-formed engine cowl. Then you'll have no excuse not to finish!

Richard

Not the bomber version No, but you did get a Mossie night fighter. 

M222.jpg

Agreed Gerhard, many flown as fighter intruders in the bomber support role like the one that I intend doing from 515 squadron, part of 100 Group, based at Little Snoring.  The vast majority of these however were not finished in an overall black scheme but typically Dark Green, Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey.

Just asking - Westland Lysander?

1024px-Westland_Lysander-B-MA.jpg

Richard

Oh my, that brings back memories. Built the Matchbox 1/72 as a kid, used an old razor blade for cutting the parts, wrong way round, cut myself so deep that I passed out from blood loss.