First WnW: Albatros D.V Komplete 11/7/18

Gazzas

Gaz:  Definitely eagerly following along - I have the same kit in my stash and have even picked out one of the schemes I want to do.   

I'm really impressed at how you did the shading and color moderation on the wings.  The 'reverse' pre-shading worked very well!  I've been doing the white base and then using the airbrush to moderate the colors, but your method was VERY effective.  The detail and the shading is very subtle but effective at the same time - definitely eagerly following along.  

:popcorn:

For now my 'Green Tail' is staying in the box...

Chris

Gaz:  Definitely eagerly following along - I have the same kit in my stash and have even picked out one of the schemes I want to do.   

I'm really impressed at how you did the shading and color moderation on the wings.  The 'reverse' pre-shading worked very well!  I've been doing the white base and then using the airbrush to moderate the colors, but your method was VERY effective.  The detail and the shading is very subtle but effective at the same time - definitely eagerly following along.  

:popcorn:

For now my 'Green Tail' is staying in the box...

Chris

HI Chris,

Thank you very much.  I'm still at the point where almost everything I do is experimental, so It's a pleasant surprise when things work well.  One thing I try to do in aircraft weathering is to stop completely when I have the impulse to do just a little more.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

Sheesh, seems like more than ten days since I was at this thread last.

After finishing a tank to beat the deadline for a group build, I can now return to aircraft.  Some of them even LSP like this Albatros.

Most builds have something that gives me reason to pause.  That something usually involves PE or rescribing or re-shaping.

Today I tackled both:

XzuKDq.jpg

Even though Gaspatch Spandau's are really nice, they aren't as see-through as PE Spandau's.  This is my first try with them, and I'm happy with the result.  The undersides are a little bent, but the top sides that will show are still true.  I'll use some metal pigments on them once they're attached to the fuselage.

The second thing was the kit spinner.  If I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have expected the shape that came with the kit.  This is WNW after all.  I think they made a big mistake copying everything from The Vintage Aviator's Albatros.

xcqs2p.jpg

After partially filling the backside of the spinner with 5-second-fix UV glue, I attacked it with the Dremel and then some files.  Then with 800grit paper I refined the shape a bit more before using smoother grit papers.  Once the fuselage painting is complete I'll see how it looks.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Hey Kevin,

Thank you.  I have the trilogy but only one will be Jasta 5.  There are just too many cool Jasta tails to limit myself.  ...and truth be told, it is a tough tail to do.  If it weren't for Tamiya Flexible tape:

top.jpg

...I doubt I would have come close.

Gaz

Hey Kevin,

Thank you.  I have the trilogy but only one will be Jasta 5.  There are just too many cool Jasta tails to limit myself.  ...and truth be told, it is a tough tail to do.  If it weren't for Tamiya Flexible tape:

top.jpg

...I doubt I would have come close.

Gaz

I've been intending to grab some of that tape, probably the 3mm stuff.

Guys, great feedback!  I appreciate it.

Ever spend almost two days on one part?  Back-filling, re-shaping, dry-fitting the result and realizing you need to do a whole lot more?  That's what I just finished...  And I'm glad it's done.

After my work yesterday, this morning I was able to attach the upper cowling panels.  Then I discovered that the spinner was far too small in diameter.

So...I set about widening it:

W2gkuZ.jpg

First I scored a strip of sheet styrene three times to give the plastic an easier bend.   Then I cut it into wedges, 2mm wide at the base and 10mm long.  I used microweld to glue the wedges on.

Test fitting showed I had the width about right:

iWViKm.jpg

I spent quite a bit of time filling with 5 second fix and getting it into shape.  Then, it took three separate applications of CA to ensure all of the divots were filled and a smooth finish attained.  Of course...  each time I had to repaint it with black primer to find the flaws.  Then finally there was test fitting:

ieY4GP.jpg

One thing I wanted to avoid was any suggestion of cone-shaped-ness.

S0qMjN.jpg

vQbiFw.jpg

Finally...  I redid the prop, too:

sNgwXu.jpg

IN two days I've attached four parts (other kits incl.), Airbrushed a little...  And shaped one propeller spinner.

Thanks for looking,

Gaz

Guest Peterpools

Gaz

Nice work on the Spandos - Their PE see through cooling shroud looks great.

Yikes, never thought a WNW kit would have both a molding problem and fit issues.

Nice work on the spinner - looks perfect

And of course, the prop surely looks the part

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thank you, Peter!  I doubt that WnW sees it as a problem.  They modelled it after a real, flying plane:

albatros_dva-walkaround-003.jpg?itok=gkS

Yet, all of their profiles, box art, and archive photos show the spinner closer to the way I've modelled it.  I wonder if they're going to change it for the upcoming von Richtofen Albatros.

Gaz

Gaz,

Flugzeugwerke aka Bo Monroe produces 1/32 replacement spinners plus fuel tank, wheels and wing radiator parts via shapeways 3d printers. I have all these replacement parts and they are verrrry nice. Especially the wing radiator which has all the louvres moulded integrally, and you can see through the air vents. Give them a go if you want some well researched accurate replacement parts for your albatros.

Just go to flugzeugwerke1917.com

PS- I have no affiliation but just a satisfied customer.

Hi Everyone,

Despite having to do some DIY around the house today, I got some decaling done.  This was my first time with large, panel size decals.  I had to use both blow dryer and Mr. Mark softer to get em down...  But in the end, they snuggled down tightly around the fuselage details.

Imagine this...  You're the squadron artist...(besides your real duties)  A new pilot arrives...  of course, he's an officer and most likely minor nobility and you're just some guy who was lucky enough not to end up in the trenches...  And you proudly show Herr Leutnant the great Wappen and even the big fiery dragon that adorn the various machines in your squadron...  It's nearly time for evening chow...   And he tells you he wants this:

Ltn.%20wolf.jpg

And he want's it done before the next morning's patrol....

Anyway...here's my progress:

fLVNWP.jpg

afLiMh.jpg

Thanks for looking and taking part in my little story.

Gaz