First WnW: Albatros D.V Komplete 11/7/18

Gazzas

Gaz

A bit confused on how this will look when done.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Hi Everyone,

I didn't mean to confuse.  Just trying out different ways of doing the same things but to canvas wings. 

Here are three pictures taken from different angles.  Base coats have been applied and some color modulation done with the airbrush.  The goal is subtle changes.  Once they cure overnight, I'll do the undersides, then Future, then Decals, then washes.

EDDmr9.jpg

T3xNoO.jpg

Z7Bu06.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

OK...jumping back in here! So sorry to have been mute up til now, Gaz. 

Man, you are kicking butt! Personally, I love what you are doing with these wings! Too many people make far too big a deal out of trying to highlight the ribs. It has turned into a fad just like over doing panel lines on metal airplanes has. I think the level of subtlety you have achieved is totally realistic. Bravo.

If I may, allow me to add one note of advanced warning re: the WnW Albatros kits: the struts are beautifully in scale, but, as a result, really, really weak. They will sag if you over-tighten the rigging at all. Ask me how I know. 

Cheers from NYC,

MIchael 

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all of the positives comments!

OK...jumping back in here! So sorry to have been mute up til now, Gaz. 

Man, you are kicking butt! Personally, I love what you are doing with these wings! Too many people make far too big a deal out of trying to highlight the ribs. It has turned into a fad just like over doing panel lines on metal airplanes has. I think the level of subtlety you have achieved is totally realistic. Bravo.

If I may, allow me to add one note of advanced warning re: the WnW Albatros kits: the struts are beautifully in scale, but, as a result, really, really weak. They will sag if you over-tighten the rigging at all. Ask me how I know. 

Cheers from NYC,

MIchael 

Michael,

Thank you about the strut warning!  It'll really give me pause now.  I've found it amazingly easy to over-tighten fishing-line cables.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since my last update...

Here's where we stand:

Got the wing undersides painted, modulated, and clearcoated with future:

tr2dpm.jpg

Then I had a huge fail with the "green tail"

yXQsVK.jpg

Too dark, too transparent and generally just wrong.

After switching to Tamiya enamels for the base coat and edging, I'm back to acrylics for the modulation and rib highlighting:

YprxJy.jpg

IkcFlF.jpg

VDuZ7E.jpg

I got a new airbrush today and it allowed me to work with more accuracy than I could with my other AB's.  There is still more modulation to do on the tail, but I ran out of daylight.  Yes...I paint outside in natural light as my wife thinks that my little airbrush will cover the house with overspray.

The red edge has a raised edge from masking that is visible in these photos.  I've not visible to my naked eye, so I'm gonna leave it.

Thanks for looking,

Gaz

Guest Peterpools

Gaz

Nice progress and the Green Tail looks real good. I can see a very tiny lip edging the red and if you didn't point it I wouldn't have given myself eyestrain trying to see it. Maybe a quick pass with 12,000 micro mesh will remove it but I wouldn't take any chances if in question.

Keep'em comin

Peter

Gaz:

Wow. Not sure how I missed this build but glad I found it - amazing work there buddy!  I see what you mean on the prop (and even with Peter confirming I had to count twice to make sure) but your cockpit and engine look aces to me.  I also would not have seen the red lip if you had not pointed it out.  Your paint work is terrific especially the modulation work you are doing - above and beyond!

Definitely saving this for when I start my own Green Tail WNW kit (which will also be my first WNW kit!)

Chris

Looks grand!  I too have the trilogy kit, and yes, IMHO a hell-of-a bargain.   I like the wing modulation very much.   As Peter mentioned a quick pass with even 9000 - 12000 finish sanding clothes would do the trick to get rid of any paint ridges.

I like using this technique to get a silky smooth finish over painted surfaces. This works especially well if you are planning a clear over the paint for decals anyway. 

Great effort on your first WNW kit. But I have to make a comment on your prop.

iA4e4u.jpg

Event though many congratulated you on your prop, I feel it doesn't look right the way the separation runs between the layers.

DH1%20large.jpg

sopwith_camel.jpg

Your separation of the layers doesn't match the contour of the airfoil on the prop which makes it just not look right.

Kind of surprised that no one has pointed this out.

Cheers, Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your input.  The prop has already been stripped for another attempt as I got informed that WnW forgot to add a seam on the landing axle aerofoil.

Gaz