Gerhard

When you have lost your Mojo, how do kickstart it again?

When do you decide enough is enough on a kit and put it back in its box? I have been struggling with the Revel FW190 for so long, feel like giving up on it. Main reason is waiting more than 3 months for stuff to arrive from Hannants that I really need to complete my "vision" of the build. 

I feel like I just want to bin it and start something else. 

This:

put it back in its box?

I have several stalled  projects sitting in boxes. I find they don't always stay that way, for instance while building the Revell P-51D I progressed a Sopwith Pup, a Sopwith triplane and the Cirrus Moth at the same time. Two of those projects are back in their boxes again for now.

Try putting the Focke-Wulf away and find something quick and easy to build. Preferably one with no major modifications/a ton of AM/weird paint jobs

Richard

You gotta have everything ready if you don't want to lose momentum on your build, or at least scheduled to arrive before you get to a certain point where you find yourself frustrated.

I'm frustrated waiting for Eduard to replace the wings on their G-6 kit for my comparison build.  I've had to start another build to keep me going.

Which kit pops into your head most?  Build it!

Gaz

Here's some stuff that has worked for me: Either start a new kit or pick up an old one. Give it some thought, would you like something more challenging or something simple? Loads of AM or just slap together OOB fun? Have a look through the stash (or go to the shops) see if you come across a kit that screams "Build me! NOW! You know you want to! I'm lonely! Cuddle me!"... Well maybe not those last two things :whistle: . If you have some shelf queens that are nearly done, have a look at those. Finally finishing that kit that has been on there for months/years can work wonders for the mojo. This last bit is not for everyone but it has done a great deal for me: Get yourself a webcam and a mic (a decent smartphone works too) and find some modelling friends to do Google Hangouts with from your workbench. There's a few FB pages out there that do them on a regular basis. Adds a whole new social aspect to the hobby and worked wonders for me. Made some of new friends that way, also some "enemies" but that's the Internet for you. :P

Hope you can find something in there that helps, and if none of it does you might want to put the plastic aside for a bit and focus on another hobby. The Mojo always comes back eventually. Happy modelling!

As others have said - just put it away for now. It's supposed to be a hobby - if it becomes a chore, stop.

I've been suffering from the same thing of late - I just can't get motivated to continue any of my longer term projects, and have decided to put them away and build something completely different. I'm usually an aeroplane guy, but I'm having great fun building a truck at the moment. It's fun, there's no pressure to add extra details (mainly because I don't know enough about the subject) and it's been really refreshing to build something of a completely different genre.

The projects on hold will come out of the loft again when the mood takes - which is the most important thing to remember: when the mood takes. In the meantime, don't force it and if you don't fancy building, do something else. Mow the lawn. Clean the windows... and suddenly you're back at the bench :)

Tom

Just sit at the bench and do one small thing; five minutes worth.  Before you know it, those small things add up to one big thing.  Many others have offered pearls of wisdom.  I have a a 35th Tamiya Tiger 1 ( I know...it's a target, not a plane ;) ) that's been on hold for about six years.  For the most part, it's ready to paint but I just can't seem to get there.  Some day...

When do you decide enough is enough on a kit and put it back in its box? I have been struggling with the Revel FW190 for so long, feel like giving up on it. Main reason is waiting more than 3 months for stuff to arrive from Hannants that I really need to complete my "vision" of the build. 

I feel like I just want to bin it and start something else. 

I know the feeling, I have a Revell 190 on the go which I started back in November 16 and still on the go, it has paint and markings on it but the main stubbling block is finding motivation o finish the Eduard BMW engine so I just do a little when I feel in the mood for it and slowly I am getting there.

I say start your G-2 build, you will enjoy it and its not as complex as the G-4.

Regards. Andy

When I have had enough of doing the same thing day after day, or evening after evening after work, I find that my mind gets overloaded.. So I just walk away from the hobby for a week, a month, a year. Whatever. Then when I come back to it I am totally refreshed. I dive right into it again. Some people take a day off and go lay about on the beach, totally away from the hobby or work or both. 

Try it when you have tied yourself in a knot with your obsessions. We do that when our jobs overwhelm us so why not the hobby?

It works for me. 

:punk:

I posted a very similar subject a couple of weeks ago, and got some really good feedback. What really worked for me was to just back up. I was not stalled for parts like you are, but I was overwhelmed with lots of little tasks that didn't add up to much progress. So I went back to square one and found the earliest step in the instructions that I hadn't finished, which was one swipe of white paint on a detail part - and I did it. Then I cleaned the brush and did a swipe of green on another part. Then I put 2 decals on.

I stopped thinking about the finished project, basically. If I were at the point where I just couldn't continue, I'd put it all back in the box and forget about the parts on backorder until they show up so that would excite me all over. I'd start putting together the CMK resin cockpit for my unstarted HE-111, or go back to my stalled B-25. It's great to be "in the flow", but sometimes it just doesn't work out unless you wait to start a project until you have every AM part you want and every paint color in hand. It rarely works that way, so I've had to adjust my process to fit reality. When I really stalled, I bought myself a detail airbrush and started learning to use it on card stock, just to build skill.

I'm taking notes here, because I have had to stall my building for a while due to various personal health and family member medical complications, including my own eye surgery, which came out OK.

Now I have to decide whether to finish the difficult build I finally got the AM parts for, or do a simple kit I've got on hand just to get back into the feel of things and then go back to the more challenging one.

And to top it off, under the influence of the rotten bunch of you, my 1/32 stash has grown exponentially.