Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

Ugh... the gunk that won't go away

Got sick three weeks ago Tuesday.  Diagnosed as a non-flu, flu-like virus.  Never had a stuffy head, no sore throat, just this hacking, dry cough that wouldn't quit.  Major body aches (even my hair hurt), fever, etc.  That progressed into a deep barking (painful) cough tha's lasted two weeks nonstop.  Got a steroid inhaler and phenergan cough syrup which didn't do much earlier last week.

Finally had to go back to the ER yesterday morning, and lo and behold it's progressed to a bacterial pneumonia in both lower lung lobes.  Antibiotics and oral steroids, and (finally) some codeine cough syrup.

I've literally spent almost three weeks lying on the sofa, sleeping when I wasn't hacking up a lung.  Feeling a bit better this morning.  Hopefully the azithromycin and steroids are kicking in.

Don't mess with this stuff!

Hi Jennings

I would like to warn you that it’s s common to have a relapse a few weeks after recovery. This happened to me. It’s really demoralizing. So take it easy.

Best wishes.

Robert

Pneumonia is not to be taken lightly. Had bacterial pneumonia twice, first time almost killed me. Doc said i was so close to the tipping point...took 3 months to recover. Rest is so important as is listening to the Drs. Stay warm, stay out of the cold.

Don

Hey!! Where's the JASDF F-104J stickers??!!

Had a similar illness myself a few years back. Had to get a steroid shot and pills along with the antibiotics. Took weeks to get over, and a reoccurring flair up two weeks after I thought it was over with. Knew several people that had the same exact symptoms and timeline.

Wow! Get better soon so you can keep us all informed on what's going on in the model industry! This must be the year of health issues that won't go away! I thought I had a tooth problem...ache in my left sinus. Dentist took a couple x rays and saw the dark shadow in there. Gave me antibiotics for 10 days. Went back and it was almost gone....but then it came back...he gave me more antibiotics but thought it was actually my sinus. Have been taking Mucinex and Benadryl to try and control the "gross stuff". My primary care doc gave me a referral for an ENT but low and behold...can't be seen till Sept 12th 2018! Did I say I really love our health care system based on what politicians think we need.... 

Right.  I'm self-employed.  Fortunately I'm in the VA system (that evil socialized medical system), so it cost me nothing.

My apologies, I'm not sure how it works.

I'm British. If I'm ill, I see my GP, get meds, go to the hospital if required, and the only time money is exchanged at any point is if I claim back my travel costs.