Sign in to follow this  
Zero77

MRP color issue ?

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I use MRP paints for a few months now, and i'm really really happy with them. They're strong, dry very fast, airbrush ready, they cover nicely and the colors are usually good and accurate.

However, i already had some colors, german colors actually, that i found pretty strange. But as german colors are always subject to debate, i thought it was just a different interpretation.

But yesterday, i started to paint my Yak-1B. The underside AMT-7 was perfect, very good coverage, nice blue tint. But when i strarted with the AMT-4 green, i found it very strange. First it was very translucent and need a lot of coats to cover my pre-shading, and the color doesn't really looks like AMT-4 green, but rather like a kind of yellowish olive drab.

Is there any of you who also used this color from MRP, and did you encountered the same experience? Could it be some bad batch?

Here is what it looks like. I have not insisted everywhere, so some areas are not covered enough, but the engine cowling, wingtips and flaps cannot be really more covered, so we would say it the color i get :

NvkYwJi.jpg
nzu1cer.jpg

Here is the picture on MRP site :

IMG_0456-01-1600x1600.jpg

And on another site, for me this one looks more accurate for AMT-4 :

16.jpg?format=500w

Real AMT-4 :

lennuk-02.jpg

lagg3-fus-fin.jpg

Your thoughts, guys?

I think i am going to use another paint... :hmmm:

Edited by Zero77

Hi Nicolas,

I've had a similair experience with RLM 75 from MRP, color was way off from what I expected (and looking at similair products from other manufacturers). I think there are few things here; some colors need a lot of layers to get to the color it should be, because they are very translucent. Also, it really depends on the environmental light how the color looks. Sometimes in low light the color looks good, but in the daylight not so and visa versa. But it also looks like some color's have changed with the new packaging. In the photo's above the first bottle is the older one, the second the new (current packaging).

I guess it's a matter of trial and error and personal taste....

Thanks Wouter !

RLM 75 is also one of the other colors i found weird.

Maybe i will send an email to MRP, to check if they changed something in their formula. For me the AMT-4 i have is definitely off !

I sent 3 emails since April the 23rd and still no reply from MRP... :hmmm:

The last time i had to contact them, it was to get a tracking number and they got back to me in the same day. So i think they maybe just dont want to help me with that color issue... 

Hopefully they're busy making more paint.

What did you ask them ?

...just curious :popcorn:

Posted (edited)

Here is the first email i sent them about 10 days ago : 

Hello,

I have a problem with some russian AMT-4 green. The color doesn't look like proper AMT-4 green. It's too obviously much yellow and looks rather like a kind of olive drab, or like soviet A II green.
I think it may be a bad batch or something, because i saw another model painted with MRP AMT-4 green, and it looks just perfect.
You can see what it looks like on my model here : http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=74591&do=findComment&comment=1034509

On this model (not mine) it looks just perfect : http://www.pictame.com/media/1272765822100018896_1924585484

Please find in attachment a picture of my MRP AMT-4 green (aside MRP A II 3 green, and they look pretty close), and a picture of a real Lagg-3 wing painted with AMT-4.

It is a bad batch of fabrication, or did you change your formula or something?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regard,

Nicolas

With those pictures in attachment : 

tU7Qrze.jpg
n9Jk4yJ.jpg?1

Then i called them again, and sent this third email last monday : 

Hello,

I did not have any reply to my emails. The AMT-4 i've got doesn't look like proper AMT-4, it's more yellowish, like a kind of olive drab. I've seen some models painted with AMT-4 on your facebook which looks like the proper color.

Do you know what's the problem, and if there was some bad production batch with this color? 

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Nicolas

Still no news....  :hmmm:

I found pictures on their facebook with very convincing AMT-4, so i definitely think i got a bad mix or something :

12244341_600657893406394_598345011640730

11268033_556055461199971_693045912859877

Edited by Zero77

I now have two builds stalled and for the first time it's not my fault. The Yak-1b because of the paint, the I-16 type 24 because i'm waiting for a resin/PE PAK-1 gunsight from North Star, but the parcel seems to have been lost between Ukraine and France... 

I must be cursed with soviet airplanes... 

Posted (edited)

Please dont think i'm trying to do some MRP bashing. I do love their paint, they are obvioulsy the best paint i used EVER, and that's why i'd like to get the proper color (i tried to make some custom mixes but was unsatisfied with the result). I would just like them to reply !

Customer support is also a part of the game.

Almost every paint i used for about a year come from MRP and i must have about 50 bottles, so i think i'm a pretty good customer. I'd be happy to have a support.

Edited by Zero77

Did you shake the bottle enough? MRP are suffering from sedimentation and pigment separation a lot, I Bought badger paint mixer especially for them.

Posted (edited)

Did you shake the bottle enough? MRP are suffering from sedimentation and pigment separation a lot, I Bought badger paint mixer especially for them.

Of course i did. Until there is no more pigment on the bottom and the whole paint is fully mixed. ;)

It works nicely with the steel ball but one have to shake the bottle for quite a longtime.

Edited by Zero77

I am glad they have that mixing ball in there for just such a use. The MRP WWI colors I bought 6 months or more ago and not used yet, have really separated badly, but with the mixing ball, at least its not a problem to get them back up to speed. 

This little boy is crying for its gunsight, he need it to shoot at bad imperialist aircraft :

0Ln7Pxx.jpg

And this one need a proper AMT-4 so the paint crew wont be sent to gulag for not using the paint the party said it had to be used : 

xSRMa0v.jpg

Hmm , I shake the bottle some and then take the lid off and

scrape the bottom with a metal stir stick just to make sure.

I haven't seen any sedimentation so far.  :shrug:

Hope you get your answer Zero. Maybe you should just buy

another bottle and 'assume' the first was a bad batch.  :)

Nicolas,

I used the North Star gunsight on my I-16 (fiddly but eventually looks great), I still have two left and I was planning to use one on a Il-2 so assuming that I can find them again I can send you one set with the instructions. I will check tonight and will let you know.

Cheers,

David

Nicolas,

I used the North Star gunsight on my I-16 (fiddly but eventually looks great), I still have two left and I was planning to use one on a Il-2 so assuming that I can find them again I can send you one set with the instructions. I will check tonight and will let you know.

Cheers,

David

Thanks David, you're very kind.

I have two sets on order, and if i dont get them on may the 7th, they will resend them to me.

What's fun in the story is that i've made an order of various items from North Star (great stuff, by the way !), and received them all in about 10 days, but the PAK-1 gunsights were the only missing items (while it was the only i really needed asap). So i tell them, and they sent them on early april. Still no parcel at the door.

So bad luck isn't it fun? :)