jig stands any big benefit?

dashotgun

I'll finish up the costing, weight the one I have to work out shipping, then I'll have a fairly accurate final price.

Don't forget Australia.  Still very interested.

Gaz

Don't forget Australia.  Still very interested.

Gaz

Will do.

I just don't want to step on anybody's toes, so I want to make sure Paul is not making them anymore. I've not had a reply from my email to him. If I hear nothing by next week, I'll assume he's out of business and proceed with making them myself.

I had one and used it a couple of times before I found it to be too cumbersome, especially when working on a number of builds at a time. The fact that they elevate the Model quite high puts them at a greater risk of knocking and breaking them in my opinion. A square of foam on the work surface that the model can be safely placed on whilst working on it is the safer option.

I have the wooden one, and I find it very handy. Depending on what you build, though, the 1/32 is relatively large. Personally, I wish I had bought the 1/48-1/32 unit.

I was building the Monogram 1/48 B-29.  Due to it's size I made a jig of lumber and hardware that could turn on multiple axis.  I used sections of a pair of pantyhose to hold the model to some sponges which sat on wood.  It worked great for the B-29 but was too bulky for a tabletop, and my wife hated seeing it cluttering up the living room.

This little stand would have great applications for me.  I know it wouldn't be perfect for every situation.  But there are some times you just need to do things at a different angle.

Gaz

I am glad that this one works for you, but that looks like all sorts of things could go wrong very quickly if something comes loose or gets knocked.

It's very, very solid. The magnetic base is rated at around 100lb's, so it'll take a very big knock to dislodge anything. Once the arm is locked by turning the knob, it's pretty solid.

The wings are held securely in place.

Honestly, for painting & decaling, it's great. I tend not to use it for the build, except towards the end, once the wings are glued on.

I have the '1/48' one as I've never seen the larger one on sale. However, a mate has one and uses it a lot. Mine has been built but not used yet, although that's a function of my lack of LSP activity since then. Actually it's the only thing I've finished this year so far....

One 'improvement' I made is to fit bolts instead of nuts inside the laminated blocks. They allow me to secure them with wingnuts, which are easier to adjust than the bolts which are supplied in the kit.