MARU5137

Frightening Southwest incident

Posted (edited)

It was NOT a crash!!!  The airplane was NOT "in free fall".  About 98% of everything I've seen reported on this has been 100% garbage.  

It was an uncontained engine failure that resulted in a fuselage puncture, decompression, emergency descent (under full control, at the rate recommended by the operating manual for the 737-700), followed by a normal engine-out landing.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Posted (edited)

Props to the pilot for handling a bad situation, but "American Hero"? An airline pilot did her job and got her passengers on the ground safely. That's why we have pilots - the .0001% of the times things screw up.

Edited by gwana

The way the news media handles aviation accidents is really appalling (no, this not the initiation of a fake news flame war), but they really need to have people who understand aviation and its complexity comment. Part of the problem is that the viewers need answers right away and accidents take a long time to investigate. This doesn't satisfy the viewers need for instant gratification and television ratings.

Mark Proulx

That Instagram quote.............

"Unfortunately we lost a passenger to a heart attack.............."

That's one of those bits of info I question, as that is not something I have heard of on any reports of this; unless they are talking about the lady who got sucked out, then pulled back in eventually died from a heart attack. However, I have not heard that either. 

So very very sad.

What are the stats regarding these uncontained engine failures? Seems to be happening more frequently, but is that actually the case, or is it being reported more frequently by the media?

It was NOT a crash!!!  The airplane was NOT "in free fall".  About 98% of everything I've seen reported on this has been 100% garbage.  

It was an uncontained engine failure that resulted in a fuselage puncture, decompression, emergency descent (under full control, at the rate recommended by the operating manual for the 737-700), followed by a normal engine-out landing.

relax its the news

Posted (edited)

I guess Capt. Shults is about to go through the full 'Sully' treatment by the media and, like Sullenberger, she'll try to explain that it was a team effort, the training paid off, everyone did their jobs correctly, her crew are equally deserving of praise and the aircraft itself had a part to play. And, just like Sullenberger, the media won't pay a blind bit of attention to what she says.

Edited by vince14

Credit and condolences in the same post a tragic freak accident. Engines very rarely let go but in that way!......

Steve.

First off - very sad to hear a passenger suffered a fatal injury - secondly, the entire crew did an outstanding job; nothing special here folks - the TWO pilots did what they are trained for - explosive decompression followed by emergency descent and a single engine landing. The fact that the Captain is female and the first female to operate an F-18 in the US NAVY has nothing to do with the successful outcome of this incident - the media is playing the sensationalism card yet again... and it’s NEVER just one person it’s the TEAM or in other more appropriate terms the CREW that creates a successful outcome through training, discipline and experience.

I’m more concerned about the fatally injured passenger and what caused an uncontained castastrophic engine failure... not about the Captain’s military career.

Cheers

Alan

That Instagram quote.............

"Unfortunately we lost a passenger to a heart attack.............."

That's one of those bits of info I question, as that is not something I have heard of on any reports of this; unless they are talking about the lady who got sucked out, then pulled back in eventually died from a heart attack. However, I have not heard that either. 

From what I was able to find from a quoted nurse on board, the lady was partially blown out the window and suffered severe head and facial trauma from striking the fuselage and wind buffeting. They got her back in the aircraft and she died in the hospital the next day - presumably from heart failure. Calling it a 'heart attack' is probably more delicate (and less litigious) than explaining that her head was smashed and she bled out. The only other injury reports I've seen were relatively minor - shrapnel and such.

I guess Capt. Shults is about to go through the full 'Sully' treatment by the media and, like Sullenberger, she'll try to explain that it was a team effort, the training paid off, everyone did their jobs correctly, her crew are equally deserving of praise and the aircraft itself had a part to play. And, just like Sullenberger, the media won't pay a blind bit of attention to what she says.

I'd argue that Sully went beyond normal training and team effort and accomplished something that 99% of pilots still can't duplicate on a simulator. Unique circumstances and ultimate professionalism certainly, but even the experts said the scenario was unrecoverable. This is a single engine failure and a controlled descent. Brown cushion time for sure, but not a one-in-a-million landing where every passenger walked off a plane with no engines, no gear, and no runway. He put a brick on a river and made it float. She landed a damaged aircraft - one that probably suffered less operational damage than what she trained for.

Not that it will matter to the ones making the documentaries.