Sign in to follow this  
Starfighter

Alley Cat Models?

Cheers everybody, 

does anybody have contact with Alley Cat Models? I have ordered and paid a Skyhawk windscreen on February 28th but never got it. It seems they are having issues with their clear resin, but there is no way to get a proper feedback as they do not answer my emails. Do you know what's going on at Alley Cat Models? I'm not in a hurry, but I certainly don't appreciate the way they handle their orders...

He posted on facebook yesterday that they now have some clear parts. They had been having problems with bubbles i believe.

I have the exact same problem. I've been waiting on my Skyhawk windscreen and I haven't been able to get a response either. It's very very frustrating. I will not order from them again.

The point is - I would certainly not cancel my order if I'd get an explanation why I don't get the goods I have ordered, but I'd like to be informed. Not getting any reply isn't really acceptable IMO. Let's hope they can solve their problems soon... not sure I'll order from them again, though.

That is not on though, if a customer sends a query you respect an answer.

I agree, but what i mean is that it's not usual for Alec to not answer. Maybe he has some issues or something?

The last time i had an email from him was in september 2017, and at this time he did respond.

Announcement for AlleyCat Models 9th April 2018.

I hope everyone has had a great Easter break, and managed some relaxing time with family and friends along with some enjoyable bench time.

I have had a short spell of R and R brought on by the school holidays and the knees making it clear rest was required. Proper dispatching of orders will recommence this week.

I have had an another update from MDC, the clear casting IS STILL NOT yet fully up and running,  this new chemical mix still needs more testing in both mixing and curing to ensure the proper results. MDC are VERY VERY close, but there is still a tendency for air bubbles in the main 'panels' which is not wanted! The items affected are as follows: Vampire canopies, T6 canopies, Typhoon canopies, A4 Windscreens, Sea Vixen and Spitfire PRXI clear parts.

Unlike standard solid resin the clear is a much more fickle beastie, especially for it to have the properties required to be a replacement solid and rigid model canopy etc. It requires much more curing time that both is in normal air and an oven, along with different compound mould rubber and main material mix. If any part of the mix changes all of the processes need redoing to be relearned. The older mix had trace amounts Mercury in, which has now been banned, so it all has to be redone. This has also been made more challenging with the location change by MDC, as yes temperature and air density affect things as well. So whereas before it was being cast 'up a hill' now it is 'down by the coast'.

I fully understand your frustration on waiting for the sets, as you would expect both myself and Bob of MDC are getting much more annoyed by it all! However the challenges will be met and beaten and hopefully in the very near future! All being well, a better update in the next week hopefully!

I'm now building the Alleycat Yak-1B (build finished and primed, now awainting for paint job), and indeed the clear parts were not perfect. I had to dip them twice in Klir to get them acceptable, and the slide canopy was a bit twisted. A bit of a challenge, but no guts, no glory ! :)

It's more rewarding when you get a beautiful model after a lot of struggle, than  when you just build a shake-n-bake kit like Tamiya, at least it's my opinion !

No excuses for bad or lack of communication; customers need to be kept in the picture if there are difficulties in fulfilling orders. No information or feedback is damned bad manners and bad business sense. I certainly wouldn't deal with them again.

Understand their problem but wouldn't you ensure the product was ready for sale before advertising it? Unless he specifically said on his website that they were in development and would take advance orders. Then no money should change hands until the product was ready for sale.

The product was not in development. The resin changed and this impacted quality control. I am remembering Paul Fisher complained about a similar issue some months ago. The fact is that cottage companies have no control on resin components and they are not even informed each time the formula is changing. If this does not create a noticeable issue for most resin users, this creates a major one for them. This asks at each time for a full new testing of the production process. Obviously this does not explain or excuse the lack of communication. This simply clarifies the fact that the hand-made production process is far more complex than what most modellers are thinking!

“Easter break� What’s that?

In the UK, the schools are shut over Easter for 2 weeks. The entire country then decamps to various holiday destinations, or Ikea.