More fun than the last 40 years

Astro32

I bought the Guillows Fairchild 24 kit a couple of years ago on a lark, as I'd built one at age 12. Unfortunately I could never get that one to fly right. On launching it would do a violent right-hand wingover and pile drive itself into the ground a few feet ahead of me. Yet it would glide perfectly. Last week I pulled the latest one off the shelf and began building since my Revell Mustang is at the point I need to decide on aftermarket goodies, etc. Honestly, it's been a blast! I'm about 60% complete at this point. I haven't decided yet on going with R/C or electric free flight, but I will make it more scale and do what I can to save weight, which I've already gone a long way to accomplishing. The main weight savings will be NOT using the included wire for the landing gear. Just that alone is a significant percentage of the dry fuselage weight, so I'll make a new, more prototypical gear from carbon fiber. And lightweight wheels.

Generally this has been tremendously fun even though it involves just some spare time and a single-edge blade along with Titebond III wood glue so far. I can't wait to see this one fly! Again, it's been really fun. I hope y'all can appreciate this.

On your first one I wonder if the prop was missaligned. secondary effect of yaw is roll. so if its was pulling off to one side it would roll.

What I couldn't figure out, and neither could my dad, is why it did a wingover in the direction of the prop's rotation. Torque and the prop grabbing the air should've spun it the other way, to the left. I tried shimming the prop shaft, giving it down thrust, side thrust, etc., to no avail. Reducing the winds on the rubber band didn't do much good either. Yet it would glide perfectly as I've mentioned so there wasn't a bad misalignment of the flying surfaces, and I had the c.g. set per the instructions. A mystery I never solved. Hopefully the new one doesn't do that! :frantic:

I have a soft spot for old balsa models

Me too! My first one was a Piper Cub as I recall. Dad helped me build it; I was about seven years old. My father and his brother built them back in the late twenties and thirties. Dad told me once he ended up chasing one of his creations for fifteen miles out of Luton on his bicycle to retrieve it. They built theirs from mail-order plans or what was included in a magazine I believe.

If my wife caught me with a balsa airplane again, I'd be in deep doo-doo! 

20 years ago I promised I would give up the R/C hobby if I could build one last project car. Sold it all to buy and build my '66 GT Fastback.  Should have seen my explaining plastic when they started showing up.  "You said you were giving up airplanes!"   "Honey, I said I was giving up flying model airplanes." 

The shaft spun freely. I made sure of that.

Yep, that's an odd one, for sure. 

I used to build tons of balsa & paper kits, but I only flew them as gliders, never R/C, as I couldn't afford the electronics. I got sick of breaking them even as gliders, so I just hung them from the ceiling after a while. The only one I have in the stash now is a giant P-38 kit for when I get the itch to build one again. I do have a 1/16 Camel kit in progress, and I did do that 1/16 Fokker DVII scratch build a couple years back to keep the mojo going, though.

I used to build tons of balsa & paper kits, but I only flew them as gliders, never R/C, as I couldn't afford the electronics.

I couldn't afford the radio gear either. Got the Rat Fink Hairy Eyeball from my dad when I asked for a set and he went to price one out. Nothing ventured, etc........ :doh:  The recent micro gear is astonishing. Fully proportional linear actuators the size of a cigarette stub, speed controls the size of my index fingernail, etc. and the electric motors! :o I have some just a little longer than a pencil eraser which might find their way into some peanut scale project or other down the road.