1/32 Revell FW-190 F-8

JefH

13 hours ago, G-Man said:

Looking really good. If it was mine, I'd make the exhaust darker. I use AK pigments, they do a nice job of creating a smokey exhaust stain. I just layer it until it's dark enough.

12 hours ago, MikeC said:

Looks really nice. :goodjob:  Exhaust staining looks OK to me, but equally I imagine it could look better a bit darker, as G-Man said.  Often, less is more ...

Thanks for the input.  Do you have a particular colour or colours of pigment you'd use for exhaust? 

Jeff 

A really simple exhaust stain method I picked up from Floyd Werner's Master Class DVD

mix up about 3 drops Tamiya dark earth with a drop of black and a _ton_ of thinner so that it's the consistency of gray water

Spray the mixture in successive coats in the direction of airflow building it up. The mixture is so thin it takes about 10 passes to be able to see anything but

you can stop any time it looks right. Just be careful the paint doesn't pool between the layers (short, quick strokes at slightly lower pressure due to the thin

mix does the trick)

The Tamiya 'Make-up for Models' kits have a good 'soot' mixture but I usually have trouble controlling the application of the stuff

HTH

4 hours ago, JefH said:

Do you have a particular colour or colours of pigment you'd use for exhaust? 

The darkness depends on how long the stains have been built up

so that's a variable. The important thing is to make sure it fades

gradually toward the end rather than ending abruptly.

Looking good Jeff  :speak_cool:

9 hours ago, JefH said:

Thanks for the input.  Do you have a particular colour or colours of pigment you'd use for exhaust? 

Jeff 

I use AK 2038 Smoke pigment. I actually bought the exhaust stain set which includes a few different useful colors.

12 hours ago, JefH said:

Jeff 

9 hours ago, JeffH said:

A really simple exhaust stain method I picked up from Floyd Werner's Master Class DVD

mix up about 3 drops Tamiya dark earth with a drop of black and a _ton_ of thinner so that it's the consistency of gray water

Spray the mixture in successive coats in the direction of airflow building it up. The mixture is so thin it takes about 10 passes to be able to see anything but

you can stop any time it looks right. Just be careful the paint doesn't pool between the layers (short, quick strokes at slightly lower pressure due to the thin

mix does the trick)

The Tamiya 'Make-up for Models' kits have a good 'soot' mixture but I usually have trouble controlling the application of the stuff

HTH

I tend to use Tamiya Smoke X19, but it depends on the subject.

Thanks for the input. 

I hate doing exhaust staining, but the colour recommendations and the great suggestion from Mike to try to feather it and end less abruptly is going to be a big help.  I have a coupe days off work coming up and hopefully I'll be able to get some bench time.

On 7/24/2018 at 5:38 PM, JeffH said:

mix does the trick)

I did something really similar to this on my current build, but must not have thinned it enough.  Also my wife and I are heading into Ottawa for a couple days next month.  Is there any good hobby shops to hit in town?

Jeff  

On 7/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, JefH said:

Thanks for the input. 

I hate doing exhaust staining, but the colour recommendations and the great suggestion from Mike to try to feather it and end less abruptly is going to be a big help.  I have a coupe days off work coming up and hopefully I'll be able to get some bench time.

I did something really similar to this on my current build, but must not have thinned it enough.  Also my wife and I are heading into Ottawa for a couple days next month.  Is there any good hobby shops to hit in town?

Jeff  

There are 4 that I know about, Hobby House, The Hobby Center, Orleans Hobbies and Great Hobbies

Hobby House is my usual hangout but I've been to them all. Orleans, Great Hobbies are more oriented towards R/C 

with a small selection of aircraft and armor. Hobby House has a section for planes, armor, cars and trains with a little less 

stress on R/C. Hobby Center had good stuff but I think they have scaled back to an online presence. Hobby Center even had

a small selection of AM at one point . 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

I think I'm calling this kit done.  There's a few things about the build I feel like I could have done better, but I learned from the mistakes and had a good time with it.  Thanks for following along and once more thanks for the constructive criticism with regards to the exhaust staining.  After using those suggestions I'm much happier with the results.

The final pics

43818121142_28ee73e90e_b.jpg

28930237707_c319e91fcd_b.jpg

43818119522_2853e7a1fd_b.jpg

43818118752_f1019acc1e_b.jpg

43818117872_0920c5f2ce_b.jpg

43866661921_8869018437_b.jpg

43818116242_144afe30e2_b.jpg

Cheers

Jeff