1/32 Revell FW-190 F-8

JefH

Happy belated Canada Day.  Happy 4th in advance and happy any other national holidays going on right now I'm not aware of.

Fought with the kit a bit over the last week.  Tried out Alclad aqua gloss for the first time.  It honestly wasn't too bad, but I'll probably stick with Tamiya in the future. 

For some reason when I used my aftermarket decal set the large white national insignias shattered when I put them on the kit.  So I had to remove them, repaint and re-gloss a couple sections.  I'm fairly new to aircraft modelling, so I didn't have any appropriate replacements in my spares bin yet.  With the state of Canada Post  getting replacements shipped would take forever, so I replaced them with the segmented black styled ones.  It's not entirely accurate, but I'll live with it since I prefer the look of them anyways.

On to the photos.  

42446502964_bf36f2258b_b.jpg

43164581801_3ce8abf596_b.jpg

I'll hit some of the more stubborn decals with some Mr. Mark Softer, then seal in the decals before I move on to some weathering.

I hate this part of a build when everything is glossed up and it looks like a toy. 

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Edited by JefH

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

Been working on the kit a little bit over the past two weeks.  Fought with a couple of the national cross decals that silvered.  Since I was out of replacement decals (and patience) I masked off the silvered area and repainted them.  Thanks to the guidance of some forum members on another post I think it worked ok.  

Put down a pin wash and a matte coat (Alclad Matte) to get me to this point.  Looking forward to getting the cockpit & radial unmasked to get a better idea of how things will look.  

29564021428_c634b01cbf_b.jpg

42718502854_580c423f89_b.jpg%5B

42530120395_00b1220b4a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Edited by JefH
Posted without text

Hello again.  

Only a quick update as I've been swamped this week with work and a sick kid, AKA my standard week. 

Managed to do some minor chipping with a coloured pencil, attach the landing lights and wheels and get a start on the exhaust weathering. 

29731647418_6771ff0230_b.jpg

42884192704_814b0cbc59_b.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with the exhaust staining but I never am.  I put off doing it for 2-3 days out of fear of ruining the model at the finish line.    I may play with it a bit more.  What do you think?

I still need  to attach the canopy, run an aerial wire, decide if I want to hang bombs under the wings and play with the prop a bit more.  I've enjoyed the build a lot, but I'm starting to get the point in our relationship where we need to start seeing other people.

Thanks again for all your input and encouragement.

Jeff

20 minutes ago, JefH said:

I've enjoyed the build a lot, but I'm starting to get the point in our relationship where we need to start seeing other people.

If you do start seeing other people, make sure your first date isn't another younger FW190 or the F8 will say bad things about you to all the other airplane kits.