Russian P-40E with Klimov M-105 engine

BiggTim

Not quite as agricultural as you might think, Anthony, but still perhaps a generation behind the best V-12'a available at the time. 

There were about 129,000 engines built, and they powered quite a few of the well known Russian planes, as well as a few P.40's and P.39's.  It was a big engine compared to the Allison and Merlin at 35 litres and had three valves per cylinder; 2 inlet and 1 exhaust, together with single stage, two speed supercharging.  The induction system was on the outside of the heads, resulting in siamesed ports and reverse flow heads, as Tim's picture shows.  This also means that it's a little wider relative to it's capacity than say a Merlin which means that it's less aerodynamic.  Because of the layout of the induction and porting, it was less powerful than an equivalent sized engine of the time with a maximum of 1,360hp in later versions, whereas early RR Griffons at 37 litres were putting out 1,730 to 1,850hp with similar supercharging arrangements.  But any discussion of the Russian engines has to take into account the poor quality petrol available to them at the time, which limits what a designer can do.  As such, it was a pretty good engine.

Anyone know if there are significant differences between the flaps on the P-40E and the later models, like K, L, M, & N? I can't find any PE flaps from Eduard for the E model, but can find some for the others. 

I don't quite know how I missed this thread Tim. Absolutely brilliant work so far and it'll set itself apart from all the other P-40s on the competiton table.

Top shelf cool Tim! Will it be ready for the Seattle Spring Show? Will there even be a spring show given the current health scare?

Cheers,

Wolf

55 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

I don't quite know how I missed this thread Tim. Absolutely brilliant work so far and it'll set itself apart from all the other P-40s on the competiton table.

Top shelf cool Tim! Will it be ready for the Seattle Spring Show? Will there even be a spring show given the current health scare?

Cheers,

Wolf

Not sure If I can get it ready for the Seattle show, or not, Wolf, but maybe. I have note heard if the show is still on, but I hope so.

Edited by BiggTim

Small update. Haven't had as much bench time this weekend, and didn't get much done. Part of the problem is that I keep finding things that I don't like about the kit parts, and I want to fix them, like the cowl flaps and the landing flaps. I ordered a set of PE flaps, and decided to have a go at scratching the cowl flaps. I showed them next to the kit parts for comparison.

20200308-160126.jpg

20200308-160209.jpg

20200308-160221.jpg

20200308-172942.jpg

I'm still working on the nose. The resin got more bubbles in it than I would like, and it has taken a while to fix them, so I'll post that later.

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, Wolf Buddee said:

Cheers,

Wolf

At this point, Wolf, I doubt the Seattle spring show will happen on April 18, since the state gov't has shut down darn near every public gathering of over 10 people until the end of April. I have been checking IPMS Seattle's FB page for announcements. They plan to make the final call on March 25, but I expect they will have to re-schedule for later in the year. Good for me, since that increases the chances that I will get something done by then!!

Tim

Some progress this past weekend. Finally got the resin nose and canopies fully integrated, primed, and re-scribed/riveted. Now waiting on the PE flaps so I can get started on the wing.

I'm also going to try some of Archer's raised screw head details on the recessed cowl holes.

I really wish I had a place set up to take better pics.

20200317-201758.jpg

20200317-201743.jpg

20200317-201734.jpg

Edited by BiggTim