Revell Mustang

Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your support but I'm not impressed with the model myself, probably because I'm too close to it.  The finish isn't that great, lots of tiny knocks and marks that I can't get rid of. It looks great from a distance and I'm very pleased with the MMP colours, they look like metal to me and having bashed a lot of aluminium as a techy in the RAF, I speak with a little authority here.

But it's my own fault for not preparing properly.  I'm definitely going to get some cotton gloves from somewhere so the next NMF doesn't get the battering this one got.  Leave longer times between spray sessions for different metal shades, de-tack the masking tape even more.  7P's apply to a NMF, I've learned that!

The last picture is the model with the mast in place and the canopy with PVA gator's Grip glue merrily setting for a few hours.

41130737784_fb468afe01_c.jpgMast by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Almost time to start the next aircraft model and it's going to be the Special Hobby Yak-3, another straight OOB build.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Addendum 2: I forgot all about the landing light in the wheel well!!!!

Mad panic to mask it up and add some chrome to the back end to simulate the reflector.  Now off for coffee and a snack then I can come back and throw some black paint at it.

And there was me, thinking it was all done and dusted.  Best laid plans and all that!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Mad panic over!  The chrome paint dried, I airbrushed some MMP Nato Black on it, removed the mask and cemented it in place in the wheel well. Job done.

url=https://flic.kr/p/JCVLb5]27984867648_bf5c8247c3_c.jpg[/url]Lamp by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

So that's definitely that!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby 

Hi Guys,

Having a modelling “rest day†today and planning what other 1/32 kits to attack next. And I came across Trumpeter's P-51B kit in the pile!

It's got markings for an Australian and a Polish aircraft, both in standard RAF late Camo and fitted with the Malcolm hood. However, it also has the original panelled cockpit parts on the sprue and that got me thinking, USAAF type in NMF! Invest in a pot of red paint, check my references and do it as one of the famed “Red Tailsâ€. Yes, the Hollywood film had them flying D's but watching YouTube this afternoon they had a lot of B/C versions. I can make my own markings on the Silhouette cutter.

Drawbacks: Trumpeter's rivet fiend has crawled all over the kit and I'll have to do some work on the wings to get them back to the clean Laminar Flow configuration. Add some decent belts, either HGW or like the Revell kit, the Fine Molds ones. Ditch the rubber tyres and buy some resin ones, in fact almost certainly got the Barracuda ones somewhere. I'll do it with the engine compartment buttoned up as the Trumpeter hatch arrangement is crap.

So what do you think? Is that a reasonable plan?

As I write this I'm looking at the Revell D sitting on a base just a few feet away and having watched the YouTube film with interest I can tell you that Revell really did capture the look of the D remarkably well. I'm glad I built it!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

And I came across Trumpeter's P-51B kit in the pile!

So what do you think? Is that a reasonable plan?

DON'T DO IT!  Probably the best advice I can offer..........

I had that kit a loooog time ago and sold it almost immediately. The main issue is the laminar flow wing isnt. Trumpeter really borked that one up. Its a pretty big mess IMHO, but Im sure you could make a nice looking model out of it if things like that dont bother you.    The upper forward cowl area and cockpit area are also way off on their B as well IIRC. 

Hi Guys,

Let's see: three lights under the wing to remove, easy. No detail to put back as all the wing rivets will be filled. The aerofoil section is “offâ€, do me a favour! I can live with it. Decals are crap, sorry, I'm making my own. The undercarriage doors aren't right, same with the wheel wells, tough cheddar as I'm not going to let you invert the model for a look!

The interior might be a different kettle of fish, pretty sure I can do the research and fix it somehow. Might be able to steal a few bits and pieces from the Dragon D languishing in the garage to tart this baby up a bit.

As for Tom's review, I have no problem with his Bad and Ugly comments. I've spent the money so I might as well bite the bullet and stick plastic to plastic. After all, it's a MODEL, it's not important in the scheme of things. Earlier in my life when I was making Armour masters I would have worried but right now at 67, as Rhett Butler said “ Quite frankly my dear, I don't.....†You know the rest!

So I'm thinking Mr Surfacer 500, Phil Flory's sanding sticks and a bit of spit and off we go.

At least it'll get a nice NMF paint job, and my cotton gloves turned up from Amazon this morning and I only ordered them yesterday!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

As I write this I'm looking at the Revell D sitting on a base just a few feet away and having watched the YouTube film with interest I can tell you that Revell really did capture the look of the D remarkably well. I'm glad I built it!

Can I humbly suggest some (many!) RFI-shots, to share the experience? :popcorn:

The "factory fresh" appearance of your model, without any unit markings or—let's face it: often crude and poorly designed nose art brushwork—is rarely seen: No distractions from the basic elegance of this plane.

Oh, I just love Mustangs ... (i'm not alone in this, I know)

tnx

Joerg

Edited by BlackCanopy