Tanmodel.

Phartycr0c

Guest Maxim

I'd certainly be in for an F-111. I'd would prefer to build an F-111C with the longer wings. I'd even be tempted to build the F-111B with AIM-54 Phoenix under the wings!

Let's just hope he holsters the divot gun that he used to ruin his RF-84F.  I can show you closeup photos of one that proves him wrong on that.

I'd rather see photos of anything you built the past 12 months. But I must admit I admire your positive attitude. :whistle:

Cees

F-111 for me too please in 48th TFW markings preferably. Practically live at Lakenheath in my late teens.

One point for Tanmodel though. Looking down the list, I spy a 1/48 Blenheim. I thought that Airfix will probably have that sown up, so if Tanmodel would like to up the scale of their Blenheim to 1/32, I would be very, very happy. Thank you.  :thumbsup:

PHANTOMS

The Tamiya F-4E is ideal for an Edwards ex-Thunderbirds jet, with only minor mods (removing the LCOSS gunsight etc).

I believe Tan Model are planning on both wing types, to facilitate a "hard wing" F-4EJ and RF-4E/EJ.

How they do this is an interesting exercise; it would need, primarily, three types of lower forward wing and carry-through wing torque box:

A/ original wing with BLC flaps and piano hinge (probably retracted, with no blown flaps option)

B/ slat retrofit for the leading edge with the steel beef-up strap across the wing torque box, and

C/ the ab initio slatted wing with the thicker torque box skin (which lent a pronounced lip at its trailing edge, roughly coincident with the MLG bays) that ran under the fuselage and across the lower wings, all the way to the wing-folds.

AARDVARKS

The proposed Tan Model F-111 airframe is the F-111A/E which were identical apart from the translating cowl vs Triple Plow inlets. F-111Es flew from Incirlik during Proven Force (G1) and are obviously of interest to Turkish modellers too.

With longer wings and bigger wheel hubs you could make an F-111C. With the Spark'Vark mods you could build an EF-111A Raven. With longer wings, bigger wheel hubs, different dump mast, Mk.IIB cockpit IP and dorsal nasal mods for Astrocompass you could make an FB-111A. The dorsal nose bump could also be made, along with revised IP, to create AMP F-111A/E aircraft.

The F-111D/F used a slightly different airframe with revised ECS venting and slight changes to the rear empennage to accommodate TF30-P-100 engines (which only the F got).

You could probably get an F from the A/E if you change the ECS to the bumpy type, add a Mk.IIB cockpit IP, add the Pave Tack pod and cradle, and change the engine nozzles.

You could get away with making a D from the A/E if you change the ECS and add the Mk.II cockpit IP and twin HUDs.

Fun times ahead if you get to see this stuff,

Tony

Well Jennings, for every Buccaneer you don't buy, I'll buy two.....

Yes indeed, me too, I have fond memories of seeing them at Honington in the 1970s.  Shiny Twelve in the early scheme and a Germany-based one (XV or 16 Sqn) in wrap-around camo for the other.  Perhaps I'd better get 3, and do the 208 Sqn ship that was desert-camouflaged for Red Flag one year.

Edited by MikeC

I'd definitely be up for the F-5, F-111 and F-4E kits. I'd also go for the Buccaneer as I remember beating the old Airfix 1/48th scale kit into submission a few years ago and wishing at the time, that someone would produce a nice, accurate and well detailed kit of the same :D!

Don't get me wrong, the Airfix kit turned out nicely, but it was definitely not a fun-filled project.

I have 4 or 5 Tamiya Phantoms both C,D and the E. Would like a RF-4E with the rounded nose to build a gray Israeli AF recce Phantom! A F-111A in the Navy gray over white Edwards test bird or an Eldorado Canyon F-111F both would be cool additions too! 

Didn't the Buccaneer fly in the Falkland Island  Operation?? 

Sadly, no: we'd lost our "proper" carriers by then.  Harriers and Sea Harriers operating from HMS Invincible and HMS Hermes.