Tanmodel.

Phartycr0c

Putting out a single even remotely well done 1/32nd model is a supremely complex endeavour, let alone multiple........

That SU is a HUGE model in 32nd, and I wish them the best of luck bringing it to market. I don't have full confidence we will ever see it, but I hope I'm wrong on that. I'd likely buy a sea-Flanker if it ever reaches the market.

Meantime he's busy working on a 1/48 Buccaneer that's going to be a total flop.  Despite all the hooplah you hear about people wanting a 1/48 Bucc more than life itself, it's going to be another Monogram PBY or Trumpeter RA-5C - the #1 kit "everybody" wants, that ends up being a total dud.

Hi Jennings - why do you think this. Just from a sales perspective?

The Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer tooling is broken or beyond repair, leaving a gaping hole in the market. I reckon the Tan Model will do well, though I'd rather they kicked off with the 1/72 edition - albeit a working rear airbrake assembly might be fun for altering display poses.

I soooo want an accurate 1/32 RF-4 so hope that subvariant doesn't get sacrificed in the inevitable pairing down of options.

An Aardvark E is a big bird. I remember them so well, and saw them off at Upper Heyford's last hurrah on 7 Dec 1993.

The Sea Flanker will be the acid test.

Tony

It's a very parochial subject with very limited appeal.

...you mean because the Americans never used it? British = parochial?

Very few users, very few color schemes, and not terribly widely known, especially by younger modelers.

True, only SA and UK, but so what? The Brits used it in the RAF and FAA.

No combat history, etc, etc, etc.

So it didn't fight in the first Gulf War? Maybe I dreamt that.

A quick look at Wiki shows it also fought in combat in South African service during the Border Wars.

Edited by JamesHatch

I'm looking forward to the 1/32 F-4E, which being LIDAR scanned will not need a nose correction, nor have a too angular rear end needing fixed and will have engine nozzles that look like they're close-cowled at the rear. At least, that's the hope.

I saw some photos of the Tanmodel team scanning their chosen jet, so it'll likely come with a slatted wing and modern weapons. Which is great, but I'd also like to do one of these early F-4Es, that had hard wings and short muzzles with no guns and were used as chase planes for cruise missile tests at Edwards in the early to mid 1980s. They were painted in very matt SEA overall, but had white upper wings (and lower outer panels on at least one). A relay of chase planes would follow the ALCM from pre-positioned tankers, and the white wings helped the next aircraft in the link pick up the chase's location from altitude. Fabulous looking or what?

And yes, the stock Tamiya kit includes the features, but does have some issues alluded to earlier

37943771472_c6a6165912_h.jpg

37311601174_6cd7198934_o.jpg

37943771602_ba813989d6_o.jpgphotos courtesy Keith C. Svensen

I must admit, I know nothing of the brand. I don't know about overall quality, detail  tooling number of rivets etc, just that the announced subject matter appears to, in most cases, add to rather than directly duplicate the availability of subjects for us 1/32 scale freaks. 

IF, the F111 does materialise and assuming a decent level of accuracy and price,  it will be one impressive beast set to grace my shelves, especially with LN or UH markings.