Kinetic P-47 Razorback Build

zerosystem

I've been trying to finish this kit up and managed to finish enough of it up for a show this weekend.  Prior to the show though I noticed that something looked off to me and found that the rear fuselage has a twist to it and each the stabilizers are off by...1/4 of an inch.

At first I was trying to scramble to find out why and what I might have done to cause this.  I checked the wingtip heights off the ground, they are only off by about 1/16" (within my acceptable margins in the scale).  Then I saw that the tail is over slightly as well and figured it was a previously unseen warp.

Has anybody else seen this in their builds and B) any solutions for a nearly finished build that won't set everything back?

(pictures here http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/303447-124-kinetic-p-47-razorback/)

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by zerosystem

Thanks Rob, I wish I had seen it before assembly and painting.  I've since committed to breaking off the lower stab in prep for reattaching it at the same height as the other.  I'll have to live with the vertical stab and rudder being off and hope that judges just can't stand up straight. 

Use hot water, nearly at cooking point, bend it when soft enough, hold in position and let someone else poor cold water over it. That should do the trick without damaging your paint job.

Yep, since the vertical's off too you'll need to twist the whole empenage.

Thanks gents, I committed to repositioning the low stab this afternoon and successfully broke it off without too much damage and and in the process of resetting it now.  I'll give the hot water a shot on the vertical stab later this week. 

The Vallejo paint has me a bit worried though since that doesn't seem to last though handling well but most of the tail is metalizer. 

Use hot water, nearly at cooking point, bend it when soft enough, hold in position and let someone else poor cold water over it. That should do the trick without damaging your paint job.

Question, would you recommed dunking the vertical stab or pouring over it for the best results?

Pouring water will not help, I recommend to put it in water for a while, and it's important to hold it in place while it's cooled with cold water.  Good Luck and let us know.