Got My Revell P-51 Today, Now what??

K5IKL

That's the best 5hing you could have happened to you, replace that with a Tamiya canopy, Revell's isn't that nice. I suspect we may see some clear resin replacements in the near future, or find a Tamiya canopy, everyone has at least one spare if they built one.

Mine wasn't broken but it might as well have been, one side looks like it has a bulge incorporated in it creating horrible distortions 

p51d-clear1.jpg

p51d-clear2.jpg

The windscreen isn't much better

p51d-clear3.jpg

A otherwise nice kit but the canopy is a major let down. If anyone has a Tamiya one they will part with I'd gladly pay for it.

Mine wasn't broken but it might as well have been, one side looks like it has a bulge incorporated in it creating horrible distortions 

The windscreen isn't much better

p51d-clear3.jpg

A otherwise nice kit but the canopy is a major let down. If anyone has a Tamiya one they will part with I'd gladly pay for it.

Agreed, that's a real let down.

As it's spoiled anyway, you could experiment with drilling/cutting out the centre panel, and dropping in a section of CD case for an authentically thick armoured glass panel.

Model companies can never do no good. Canopy too thick, outcries everywhere, canopy too think, same deal. :innocent: :wicked:

(watch the emoticons :whistle:)

Cees

Some of us would like to see the details inside the airplane when you spend 20 hours painting, decaling, and assembling. This was the result of sloppy rush work from Revell. They are fully capable of creating clear parts, my BF-109G6 has one of the clearest canopies I have ever seen. But somehow on this kit, you have a combination of great engineering, and incredible detail combined with poor fit, sink marks, and distorted clear parts. This kit is a mixed bag.

Now what ?  get out the glue toob and get started.

Won't need the canopy for awhile anyway   :popcorn: :punk:

;)

Thought about, but when I put it together just to see what I could do I noticed that a small piece of the plastic

where they join was broken off leaving a small hole in the center of the break line.   Plus it is so thin I figure anymore

handling is going to make matters worse.

Well, hopefully someone will step up and make a vac canopy for this kit. It's really unforgiveable that you can't get a decent canopy in the kit, especially when their past offerings had very good ones. Makes me think about the Hobbico issue and wondering if they didn't speed up production on these kits to earn some revenue before Hobbico decided to file Chapter 11.

Hopefull, we will hear soon who bought Revell USA and Revell Germany at the auction.

Edited by Big Texan

WOW, this is not good customer service IMNSHO. I guess I'm gonna take SB off my list of potential vendors. I completely understand that they are not in the "spare parts shipping business", but if I buy a new product through them, I expect them to handle issues such as this themselves. Especially for international products where it is very difficult to get replacement parts from certain manufacturers to the USA. I "get it" that they are not responsible for Revell's crummy boxes, but..........

Not surprised by SB's response, that's exactly how they handled two issues I've had in the past.