WNWs

Fred Jack

I probably mentioned it before but my first WW1 plane was an Aurora SE.5, which was a Hisso, but I had trouble putting on the upper wing, so it became a monoplane. My second WW1 plane was an Albatros Dlll, which was easier to mount the upper wing, which was also true with the Fokker D.Vll and D.Vlll. But the flying characteristics of my SE5 monoplane proved more than a match for my German planes. I ultimately added the second wing and built all of the Aurora planes. It ended up being the only plane I had more than one was the two seat Albatros C.lll, and I'm still waiting for WnWs 1/32, so I can build another one.

What I absolutely love about WnWs, is that they are the only company to produce more than just fighters. No WW1 Air Force can be complete without Obsevation Planes and Bombers as far as I am concerned.

I think for those of us who are into WNW kits, we've all missed at least one release we just had to have. For me it was the Re8 but hey that's life. And I ha e been less enthused about some of their subjects, like the forth coming Junkers d1 and frankly when they opened everything by releasing the J1 I was less than excited.

It is what it is and I wish they would kit certain things over others but I think more than anything else they have proved there is a market for these kits and that is something others will take advantage of. Look at Copper State emerging in a similar vein recently? Good bad or indifferent as you may feel towards WNW, quirky as they are, they have been great for the hobby IMHO.

Zach

Before WnWs in 1/32 scale, there were only a handful of WW1 planes, and they were all single seat fighters. First there was Hobbycraft with the Nie.17, a poor Sopwith Camel, the SPAD Xlll, which was a very nice kit but with no engine compartment, which wouldn't be bad unless you wanted to leave off the louvers on the sides of the nose as per many SPADs during WWl, a Dr1 and an F1 Fokker Triplanes, and two better Sopwith Camel that for some unexplained reason, you had to cut out a section of the fuselage for the lower wing. Then Academy issued the Hobbycraft Nie17 and the bad Camel, and having to deal with a lawsuit from Hobbycraft. A new company came on the scene, Battle Axe, with an early Fokker D. Vll, a Fokker Elll, a Fokker E.V/D.Vll an Albatros D.lll and an Austro-Hungary Albatros D.lll (OAW) then left for good. Then Roden started coming out with a bunch of different never released Nieuports and a SPAD Vll, along with their DR1, and an SE5a Hisso and Viper, and an Albatros D.lll. I'm not sure at this point when WnWs came in, but they shocked the modeling World with six outstanding kits with great instructions of which only two were single seat fighters, the others were a twin seat fighter/ bomber, a two seat ground attack plane, a two seat observation plane, and low and behold, a heavy bomber, all at the same time. Since we do now have three obscure planes from Planet, an Albatros D.ll from Encore, a few from Special Hobby, and one from Aviattic, and a rerelease of a Fokker E.V/D.Vlll, which means things are looking up for us WW1 modelers.

Edited by Fred Jack

Before WnWs in 1/32 scale, there were only a handful of WW1 planes, and they were all single seat fighters. First there was Hobbycraft with the Nie.17, a poor Sopwith Camel, the SPAD Xlll, which was a very nice kit but with no engine compartment, which wouldn't be bad unless you wanted to leave off the louvers on the sides of the nose as per many SPADs during WWl, a Dr1 and an F1 Fokker Triplanes, and two better Sopwith Camel that for some unexplained reason, you had to cut out a section of the fuselage for the lower wing. Then Academy issued the Hobbycraft Nie17 and the bad Camel, and having to deal with a lawsuit from Hobbycraft. A new company came on the scene, Battle Axe, with an early Fokker D. Vll, a Fokker Elll, a Fokker E.V/D.Vll an Albatros D.lll and an Austro-Hungary Albatros D.lll (OAW) then left for good. Then Roden started coming out with a bunch of different never released Nieuports and a SPAD Vll, along with their DR1, and an SE5a Hisso and Viper, and an Albatros D.lll. I'm not sure at this point when WnWs came in, but they shocked the modeling World with six outstanding kits with great instructions of which only two were single seat fighters, the others were a twin seat fighter/ bomber, a two seat ground attack plane, a two seat observation plane, and low and behold, a heavy bomber, all at the same time. Since we do now have three obscure planes from Planet, an Albatros D.ll from Encore, a few from Special Hobby, and one from Aviattic, things are looking up for us WW1 modelers.

Only the Battleaxe kits were not good enough to build.

I am waiting for the release of more German types, French ones like Nieuport, Spad, Breauet 14, Coudron G.4 and Austro Hungarian planes. I regret not having HB W29 and a few others but hope WNW release them with a little tweak in the future.

Yes WNW is a good example of how they successfully moved niche(largely ignored 1/32 World War 1 planes) to masses or into mainstream. They make good money selling the kits and many people are queing for their new releases. Can someone tell me how many kits they produce per each release and where they tool the kits? I am curious.

Jay

Edited by Jay Kim

I am waiting for the release of more German types, French ones like Nieuport, Spad fighters and Austro Hungarian ones.

WNW is a good example of how they successfully moved niche(largely ignored 1/32 World War 1 planes) to masses or mainstream. They make good money selling the kits and many people are queing for their new releases. Can someone tell me how many kits they produce per each release and where they tool the kits? I am curious.

Jay

No, they won't say. Actually produced in China, I think I read somewhere?