Can you convert the Revell Spitfire Mk IX to a Mk VIII?

oyoy5

More info I saved from a couple of Spit gurus :

There is more to a Mk VIII Spitfire than the tailwheel although that is the most notable difference. The Mk VIII Spitfire was really a MK VII Spitfire without the pressurized cockpit. Early Mk VIII's had extended wingtips and the regular "rounded" rudder. Later the rugular wingtips were fitted and the Mk XII rudder (the "pointy" one or "deep chord") was used. But the Mk VII, and cosequently the Mk VIII, had short span ailerons and leading edge fuel tanks. You will need drawings to scribe in the fuel tanks and fillers and since the Tamiya kit is so intricately scribed and rivetted it will test your scribing skills to match what Tamiya did.
Cheers
Bob Swaddling

. From late 1942, the paints changed to smooth finish, and the front 20% of the wings was "stopped" (i.e. filled,) rubbed down, primed, painted, then rubbed down, again, with special attention being given to the rivets, and panel lines, especially the line of the mainspar. This added 50 hours to Spitfire production, but added to the top speed.
The VIII (and the VII) originally had red and green downward recognition lights, one in each wing, but they were deleted from May 1943.
In December, 1943, the VIII's cannon cover had two small blisters (rather like the 22/24 later,) instead of the single large, since it was envisaged as carrying four cannon, but this didn't happen, probably due to weight (and possibly wing strain) considerations, so the single small blister became standard, but I can't find out when. Certainly, as late as 1944, there was still talk of the VIII having 4 cannon, or a combination similar to the "E" wing, but, as far as I can tell, it never happened.
Edgar Brooks

The Mk.VIII had a retractable tailwheel, a fuselage with recessed rivets, a shorter aileron (doesn't extend so far outboard), and leading edge tanks in the wing near the root (ignore this on a small model).  Many early ones had the extended wingtips, and also the broader cannon fairing meant to allow for two cannon in each wing.  I'm not sure, but suspect the increased-area elevator horn balance also appeared partway through the Mk.VIII production.

Edited by mmaben