Mr. Paint in Canada

Guest Martinnfb

Tony, there IS a UK distributor:

http://www.hmhobbies.co.uk

run by Hanna and Marek, they offer spectacular service!

Max

4.99 pounds= CDN$9.00 not bad but the shipping? The site says Cannot ship this product to your country. Stupid.

Can't get the Gunze acrylic paints here either. Banned. The acrysion paints were made to sell specifically to North America in Lieu of the Gunze acrylics. However, we can get Mr. Color Lacquers here. HM hobbies is wrong. So we have to pay an extra $2 per bottle so that some U.S. Distributor can have an exclusive. I won't buy them they can keep them.

Edited by Totalize

Just a FYI, but MRP has the little flammable icon printed on every bottle that I have. That means that the paint can only be air shipped under special packaging and handling requirements that are not easily available to "usual" modeling vendors (and quite expensive to implement). If the package does not meet these special air shipping requirements, they get confiscated/destroyed and the sender does not get reimbursed for the loss. That's why model paints that we used to be able to get pretty easily are becoming harder to find and many vendors (including Hannants) will not ship orders overseas any longer. They do not wish to take the risk for loss and the potential for a shipping company to deny their packages. It has nothing to do with "exclusive" distributor agreements.  

4.99 pounds= CDN$9.00 not bad but the shipping? The site says Cannot ship this product to your country. Stupid.

Can't get the Gunze acrylic paints here either. Banned. The acrysion paints were made to sell specifically to North America in Lieu of the Gunze acrylics. However, we can get Mr. Color Lacquers here. HM hobbies is wrong. So we have to pay an extra $2 per bottle so that some U.S. Distributor can have an exclusive. I won't buy them they can keep them.

I assumed Tony is in the UK, I didn't post it for exporting to Canada.

Max

I just acquired some for the first time and used it on a project.

It shoots out of an airbrush just fine and is nice paint.  It is totally not suited to brush painting, however, which makes touch up work a real *****.

I didn't realize how much you need to be able to apply the same paint to a model with both airbrush and brush.  Not being able to do that was a huge handicap and for that reason, I doubt I will buy more Mr. Paint again.

I know they have some "brush paint" bottles for some colors, but trying to keep all that organized and in my personal stock and finding it all in stock at a store is too much work.

I think I will go back to mixing formulas and good old Tamiya sprayed with Mr. Color leveling thinner, which shoots as well as anything on earth.

Just a FYI, but MRP has the little flammable icon printed on every bottle that I have. That means that the paint can only be air shipped under special packaging and handling requirements

So ship it by boat. What's the hurry ?

I think their main issue is that they

can't make the popular colors fast enough. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

How long ago did you make your last order direct from MRP?

I tried a couple of weeks ago to order direct through MRP and it wouldn't let me place the order. I wasn't sure why, but I needed the paint (5 bottles) so I ordered them through a seller on eBay.

Sorry, just noticed this now. Roughly four weeks ago.

Received an email from Mr Molnar this morning saying that MRP no longer ships to Canada or the U.S! He directed me to their U.S distributor (so I'm assuming he can supply them) but no more direct sales to North America.

Too bad.

US sellers can't ship to Canada, that is nuts.

I just sent MRP an email. Very dissapointed I would need to ship from the US. US to Canada shipping is the most expensive on the planet. I can ship from the other side of the globe, from a third world country, for less.

I actually priced from this same supplier and MRP direct and the cost was much less due to shipping. Shipping from the US doubled the amount.

I guess it is back to Mr. Color only.

I just acquired some for the first time and used it on a project.

It shoots out of an airbrush just fine and is nice paint.  It is totally not suited to brush painting, however, which makes touch up work a real *****.

I didn't realize how much you need to be able to apply the same paint to a model with both airbrush and brush.  Not being able to do that was a huge handicap and for that reason, I doubt I will buy more Mr. Paint again.

I know they have some "brush paint" bottles for some colors, but trying to keep all that organized and in my personal stock and finding it all in stock at a store is too much work.

I think I will go back to mixing formulas and good old Tamiya sprayed with Mr. Color leveling thinner, which shoots as well as anything on earth.

You can touch up with it using a brush.  Place a drop into a tray, allow some of the solvent to evaporate for a minute or two and then 'dap'  the brush onto the area that you are touching up, dont brush.  Leave it and repeat 5 mins later if really necessary, it should be fine.  Good only for very small blemishes, for larger touch ups apply some localised masking (I use Clever Putty, ideal for this) and spray.  For brush painting details I use Vallejo MC which partners MRP well.