Revel P-51D Lou IV: Blue and Green

CANicoll

Those are the Eduard Brassin tires and wheels.  I had to cut down the axles by over 13 as the depth of the Eduard wheels is much less than that of the kit pieces.

Still thinking about how much weathering to do as the Lou IV in the photo didn't really have any topside stains which is one of the reasons why I think the photo was staged.  None of the planes had exhaust or other stains that we can see.

Chris

It's not so much weathering as toning down the colors to keep them more 'in scale'.

I also bought the Brassin wheels. For some reasons the tread on mine are diamond-shaped, not rectangular like yours.  :hmmm:

Hi CANicoll,

seems the light at the end of the tunnel is already visible. :thumbsup:

I agree with you - planes look pretty clean for the staged photosession. May be you could make a difference between old OD (more matt) and newer blue color (a bit more glossy).

That Mustang looks great!

66misos

It's not so much weathering as toning down the colors to keep them more 'in scale'.

I also bought the Brassin wheels. For some reasons the tread on mine are diamond-shaped, not rectangular like yours.  :hmmm:

Quang: I just checked the Eduard order and the part number I ordered  Cat.No.: 632116.was which is probably the same part you ordered, right?  I do have THOSE wheels and tires but for my second Revell build.  For this one I actually used Barracuda from Spruebrothers.  Apologies for the mistake!

But I must admit, I like the block tires better than the diamond tread ones!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Chris

Drop tanks and the plumbing look dead on the money!

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thanks!

I googled photos from the war.  There were two different plumbing options but this seems to be the one for this period so that works!

Chris

Minor update:  So after bringing Lou IV to the Joint Base Andrews Bolling's 100th anniversary dinner last week and then getting ready to bring it to DownEastCon in Havelock, NC this coming weekend I noticed something:  The control column was missing!  Ok, got that added last night as well as the antenna (in the proper blue color - well, in blue anyway. Proper is up for debate!) and then touched up the cockpit frame painting.  

Still waiting on the Model Monkey shrouds for their magnificent exhausts which should ship this week, but in the mean time have fitted the acceptable Eduard resin exhausts with the kit shrouds (pressed fit for the moment).  Still at sixes and nines about weathering - but agree that the brightness needs to be toned down, although I think the yellow is pretty close to the photos.  Will tackle that after the model show. ;)

If anyone is at DownEastCon this weekend let me know!

Chris

On 7/1/2018 at 9:03 PM, CANicoll said:

Yeah Peter, no stress!

Thanks guys - here is where I am at the moment - have not resolved the stabilizer strips at the moment, but got the landing gear and the drop tanks plumbed ( and attached ) and did lay down a coat of clear matte and then took off the canopy and windscreen masks.  First time I've used the inside masks as well as the outside.  Still a bit more to do (antenna for instance, mirror, canopy hand hold) but seeing the finish line - even if it still has some unresolved issues.

Test-fitted the Eduard exhausts with the kit shroud on the left side (sorry for the blurry picture).

Not the best pictures, but gives an overall look.

dkGluq.jpg

The Tamiya tape dispensers ensured the dropped flaps were exactly the same.

puSWvY.jpg

WAcdEm.jpg

IklnLD.jpg

zXWUSi.jpg

Drop tank plumbing is some old solid-core wire I had and also used on my Tamiya P-51D Mustang.  Seems to be the right scale. The plumbing is not glued in actually but fitted into the holes in wing and in the drop tank itself.  The insulation was stripped out for the holes, and then painted black for the 'rubber' hoses.

Apologies for the poor photography, busy weekend and tomorrow our club treasurer and I are setting up a model display for the local base's 100th anniversary dinner so been working on getting that together.

Thank all and hope everyone had a good weekend.

Chris

Sure looks good Chris. Nice work!

Maybe a final update?  Took Lou IV to Havelock, NC this weekend for DownEastCon even though she's not quite finished (and did get a 3rd!).  And ended up with multiple repairs and now a broken part.  UGH.

Both of the AMUR flaps came off at different times so obviously I'm not anchoring them properly.  Then I knocked off the antenna when I inverted her for securing before heading to the venue. THEN, at the venue, somehow broke and lost half of the half moon canopy reinforcing bar as I was showing someone the clarity issues in the canopy.  Sigh.

The GOOD news is that the Model Monkey new exhausts and shrouds arrived on Monday and I got the painted yesterday and fitted today. YAY!  There are a few tricks to getting them to fit so I'll do a review as well separately.  Cutting to the chase: I think they look great!  (I've cleaned the openings up a bit from the photo's here.  All it took was a sharp toothpick).  There is a bit of trimming that I had to do using the original exhausts (not the set that came with the shrouds which have a smaller mounting plate).

poxL9b0Nj

I like the shape of the exhausts and with a bit of work, they actually are a press-fit.

pltQJEiRj

lDJqrh.jpg

KReNC0.jpg

And viewed from the top:

6tvXuK.jpg

As I mentioned, it took a little bit of work (and faith) to get the original Model Monkey exhausts to fit:  Some judicious bending to slide in the exhausts and a bit of a trim  on the front corner to ensure a good fit.

fuxmMF.jpg

You can see the angle cut I made on the right side of the picture (compared to the left side in the picture above):

wvuvag.jpg

Stay tuned as I wrap up this build.  Finally!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

33 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looks great! I'll have to remember the MM exhaust tricks

Brian:  If you order the exhausts with the shrouds, the mounting plate is narrower so you probably won't have to trim that, but bending the exhausts to get them into the shrouds is definitely the way to go.   Gentle, but firm is the technique.

Good luck!

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Outstanding build and presentation. A joy to follow your build thread as you went the extra mile to keep us compleyely in the fold.

Awesome finish and a build thread all on it’s own. Easily could see how leaving the control column out with everything that had been going on happened. 

:clap2::clap2: