Revel P-51D Lou IV: Blue and Green

CANicoll

Reimund, I'm definitely going to install the 'buckets' that the exhausts install into before closing up the nose.  But I've done the test fitting and I can install the exhausts and shrouds from the outside so that's the current plan.

I also ordered a set of resin Eduard Exhausts which arrived today so I get to do a 3 way comparison between the kit, Model Monkey and Eduard resin exhausts.  Stay tuned!

I think you did a custom mix for the blue?  Can you remind me what you did? 

Bob - oh that part is a-coming!   Hang in there!

Chris

Chris,

I tried to get nearly no contrast to the mixed blue and the British dark green as you can see looking at Dana´s explanations/conclusions.

Looking at my paint stash I found FS 15042 (dark sea blue) and FS 35109 (blue) from ModelMaster..

First mix was around 2/3 dark sea blue and 1/3 blue.

http://20180130_162044-1.jpg

Hmm - not really convincing to my eye.

Ok - next try: This time ratio was around 3/4 dark sea blue and 1/4 blue.

http://20180201_130417-1.jpg

Yep - that´s much better to my eye! 

During the further progress (applying clear cote, weathering, semi flat cote) colours will change.  

BUT- did I reach nearly NO contrast between British dark green and the mixed blue?

NO, not at first glance. It´s a somehow strange feeling I have: Shade of blue is quite `correct` but the british green should be darker...?

But in the end I´m pretty happy with the result.

So I´m looking forward to see your interpretation of the blue/green mix.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Reimund

Reimund:  Thanks for that - I have a business trip next week so probably the week after I'll get to the paint stage.  I'm still thinking of starting with Dk Mediterranean Blue and working from there, but having your mixes as a reference point will help.  Dana is going to send me a few of the pics he has not posted so that will help with the topside and right side views. 

Brian - ditto, hope to do that comparison in the next couple of weeks.  My Model Monkey, Revell Kit comparison and review is up on the site now.  Your thoughts are welcomed!

Thanks Gents!
Chris

Chris,

http://20180201_130417-1.jpg

Yep - that´s much better to my eye! 

During the further progress (applying clear cote, weathering, semi flat cote) colours will change.  

BUT- did I reach nearly NO contrast between British dark green and the mixed blue?

NO, not at first glance. It´s a somehow strange feeling I have: Shade of blue is quite `correct` but the british green should be darker...?

But in the end I´m pretty happy with the result.

So I´m looking forward to see your interpretation of the blue/green mix.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Reimund

Reimund, given that we are making very subjective judgments of photos on monitors and each process in the step can have its own colour bias, to me your second blue tonally looks like a good match to the original photo.

However, I'm not totally convinced by the version of RAF dark green you're using. My own preference is for Humbrol 163, or a Tamiya acrylic mix to match

(75% XF81  + 25% XF49 Khaki ) which seems a good representation of the full size RAF colour seen in person.

Tamiya also released new versions of RAF Dark Green (and Ocean Grey) with their Spitfire IX kit which seem to be well regarded, although I haven't tried them myself.

So today was a day of getting things "1/2 done"...

I've put together the scoop for under the fuselage, but now it needs to be re-primed and then painted.  I have the HGW shoulder belts put together (after looking online and following Doog's advice to not triple-thread the buckles. That worked like a charm) but have not started on the lap belts. 

have the entire bottom and the rear half of the top of the fuselage joined together (behind the cockpit).  I'm working on minimizing the seams but we'll see how that goes once I get the nose pieces glued together.

Oh yes, checked out the Eduard Brassin exhausts that arrived yesterday and they DO fit into the kit shrouds.  Pictures coming, but they are a better overall shape than the kit exhausts with nice opening detail and the bolts well represented, but not as wide as the Model Monkey exhausts so still have that pinched look.

No pics just yet, more to come.

Chris

Good news that on the exhausts. Now that all the niggles (more or less) are out about this kit, and some of the workarounds are also out, I was even thinking about starting my copy.   Really the only thing Im still missing is my shipment of X2 windscreens from TamiyaUSA. Having the EB exhausts its really nice to hear they fit in the OOB shrouds. 

Reimund, given that we are making very subjective judgments of photos on monitors and each process in the step can have its own colour bias, to me your second blue tonally looks like a good match to the original photo.

However, I'm not totally convinced by the version of RAF dark green you're using. My own preference is for Humbrol 163, or a Tamiya acrylic mix to match

(75% XF81  + 25% XF49 Khaki ) which seems a good representation of the full size RAF colour seen in person.

Tamiya also released new versions of RAF Dark Green (and Ocean Grey) with their Spitfire IX kit which seem to be well regarded, although I haven't tried them myself.

Chek,

thanks for sharing your thoughts - this is most welcome!

After paint job was done, I looked at the green and there were some doubts left.

Hardly, there isn´t any obvious difference between British dark green and the US oliv drab, particulary comparing the green shades on fin and rudder.

Did I interchange the caps of both paint bottles??? I´m not sure, but I left the model as it was.

For British dark green and the US oliv drab I used Xtra Colours.

Next time using British dark green I will check out the colors you´re recommending.

Cheers

Reimund 

Got the fuselage closed up and the seams are not horrible.  The join of the tail is hard to see since it is a gloss black primer but it seems like a perfect fit.  Overall here is the fuselage:

gmsb3L.jpg

6yiA0L.jpg

YiYGfF.jpg

Did some work on the bottom scoop and those join lines took a bit of sanding to match up.  I've seen different pictures where the front lip is a different piece compared to the rest of the scoop so I'm not as worried about that join line as the longitudinal line up the middle.

knMdHn.jpg

pVvwQI.jpg

Used the HGW seatbelts which actually came together pretty well.  Can't decided if I've just kind of figured them out (the assembly part anyway) or what.  I've still not figured out how to properly dye them tho.  These I painted with diluted Tamiya Khaki and then wiped off with a wet brush but I need a better go at the seatbelts to pull out the detail.

The shoulder buckles are higher than they should be. 

vAtZRm.jpg

And installed in the fuselage:

uhSoqn.jpg

Point of trivia:  The IP actually is not glued in place, but the fit is tight enough it doesn't really move.  I might have to secure it before I put the windscreen on.

Chris

Bit of an update - got some work done on the lines - still a bit more to do but definitely better than I thought.

I195l4.jpg

Sv6bD9.jpg

Did some detail painting - these look VERY bright it is actually Vallejo Dull Aluminum.

zvIMPR.jpg

VRoCfZ.jpg

And the bottom wing - some of a wash and a bit of aluminum dry brushing.  The main doors are going to be mostly closed so very little of this will be seen:

UDy2Mt.jpg

OH, got the Eduard resin exhausts and got them painted.  Model Monkey top row, Eduard middle, kit bottom.

bXcUR7.jpg

The profile shape is closer to Model Monkey but the width is closer to the kit piece as seen below.  The Eduard pieces are about as narrow as the kit pieces, but have the rounder opening than the kit pieces (but not as wide as Model Monkey).

QkEKmv.jpg

This picture shows the big difference in size between the Model Monkey (left) and Eduard (right).  Both have excellent bold detail (and make sure you know which side is up, the bolts are not symmetrical!!) but the Model Monkey exhausts are a lot deeper.  I painted the inside of the Eduard exhausts using a very sharp toothpick.

cMYRKN.jpg

Here is the big reveal:  Yes, you CAN fit the Eduard exhausts into the kits shrouds, but do a lot of test fitting.  The shrouds did shave off a bit of resin during a few of the fittings and I had to touch up the Eduard exhausts:

M8CyGI.jpg

Have to check to see how this all looks on the plane.  Here the shroud is sitting too deep on the exhaust - in reality less of the exhaust is shown through the shroud.  But they fit...

Edited by CANicoll

Having assembled the shrouded exhausts using the kit parts, my impression is that the exhausts themselves could have been a tad more prominent, just like ... the MM offerings. Alas the latter obviously won't fit the shrouds. On the other hand, I don't like the pinched look of the Eduards. They seem to float in the shroud openings.

At least you have the benefit of having the 3 options in hand to compare and choose the best solution.

Good job. Keep on trucking

Quang

Edited by quang

I am going to see what I need to do to the shrouds to fit the MM exhausts.  I think they look the best but we'll see how much surgery is needed.  If too much, I'll use the Eduard ones.

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Just finished going through the build from the start to your last update. Terrific work on the IP and front office. I haven't used Formula 560 but use Gallery Glass which is very similar and the results are excellent. Super progress on the Mustang: so nicely done.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter