G-Factor F7F Tigercat Landing Gear (HPH kit)

Rick Griewski

Ordered mine too.....twice, one for the HPH kit, and one as substitute for my already finished combat Tigercat........at last both its main gear broke at the oleo after oh more than 5 years..........

Edited by Jack

Actually on hind sight i might have made a kind of rash decission: G-factor is indeed offering the "gear", but......does it also include the main gear strut(s)? (those i was actually looking for)

I do need the nose gear anyhow, but on trying to ascertain the actual offer, i only saw a nosegear assembly.......

No Jack, the set only includes the nose gear, not the main legs.

YEP, but no worries, i can use the nose gear aswell, just have to figure out the "now" broken main gear at its oleo position........i'll figure it out, that's modelling isn't it?

• 5 years later...

The castings look pretty rough and will take a fair amount of clean up. Close inspection of the gear struts in my kit reveals that there is a steel rod skeleton imbedded in all of the resin strut pieces! That is an awesome touch. I was afraid that I was going to have to do that myself; make the skeleton from steel wire, drill a channel in each strut, insert the skeleton and fill the channel and wire with some liquid resin. HPH did it for me. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

The castings look pretty rough and will take a fair amount of clean up. Close inspection of the gear struts in my kit reveals that there is a steel rod skeleton imbedded in all of the resin strut pieces! That is an awesome touch. I was afraid that I was going to have to do that myself; make the skeleton from steel wire, drill a channel in each strut, insert the skeleton and fill the channel and wire with some liquid resin. HPH did it for me. 

The real bummer (one of MANY with the kit IMHO) when it comes to this is the brass gear was a direct copy of the kit gear and the kit gear didnt fit at all OOTB.

That and the fact that HpH decided that instead of making a simple brass neck piece to allow a 2nd brass section to be attached to it and make an actual cantilever gear that the T-Cat has IRL, they just decided to take that rod that went through the core of the nose gear and extended it out the bottom of the nose gear neck through the top of the tire and wheel to hold things in place. It looked like utter crap.

If you can find a copy of the brass gear these days definitely use that as a starting point for a mod or possibly bending or extending the aft strut. I would  say it would definitely be better than HpHs option of putting piano wire through the top of the nose gear tire. 

On 4/20/2023 at 3:49 PM, Out2gtcha said:

The real bummer (one of MANY with the kit IMHO) when it comes to this is the brass gear was a direct copy of the kit gear and the kit gear didnt fit at all OOTB.

That and the fact that HpH decided that instead of making a simple brass neck piece to allow a 2nd brass section to be attached to it and make an actual cantilever gear that the T-Cat has IRL, they just decided to take that rod that went through the core of the nose gear and extended it out the bottom of the nose gear neck through the top of the tire and wheel to hold things in place. It looked like utter crap.

If you can find a copy of the brass gear these days definitely use that as a starting point for a mod or possibly bending or extending the aft strut. I would  say it would definitely be better than HpHs option of putting piano wire through the top of the nose gear tire. 

Since there is a steel rod through both the gear and the fork it may not be necessary. I will just see and adjust fire as necessary