Tamiya 1/48 F-14A: 6/17/18: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

David.

Should have followed your lead about adding the doors before everything else as it's tight in there.  I did take your advice and glued the pylons on with Kystal Klear and it worked great.

Hopefully today id finishing day. O just might leave the canopy loose, as it fits so well and use the kit seats when closed and when open pop in the Quickboost seats.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Kev

WOW, what a coincidence - love the scheme as well. Is that your shadow in the photograph?

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Alain

Much appreciated. Just love those colorful Tomcats. Only with Tamiya would can their 20 plus year old 32nd scale Tomcat and just upscale the 48th scale kit

Peter

David.

Should have followed your lead about adding the doors before everything else as it's tight in there.  I did take your advice and glued the pylons on with Kystal Klear and it worked great.

Hopefully today id finishing day. O just might leave the canopy loose, as it fits so well and use the kit seats when closed and when open pop in the Quickboost seats.

Peter

The canopy actually fits well in the open position with no glue, but the model has sort of a neutral CG with the wings swept aft. it will tip aft and forward and everytime it comes crashing down on to the nosewheel the canopy wants to slam shut. I recommending installing that strut to give a somewhat sturdier base for that canopy to rest on.

-d-

Guest Peterpools

David

Thanks for the heads up. I did add weight to the nose cone and I'm playing around to see how it goes. So far, so good

Peter

Kev

WOW, what a coincidence - love the scheme as well. Is that your shadow in the photograph?

Peter

Nope, I believe that's my ANG buddy. He and I were also able to snatch some really cool photos of the Blue Angels aircraft one year, while parked prior to the show; our own private viewing of sorts. 

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 6/17/18: FINISHED AND ACROSS THE LINE

I'm calling my Tamiya's 1/48 F-14A Tomcat done, in the books and ready for the display case. There is a bit of brush painting that still needs to be done and I've learned from past experiences, don't rush the small go backs just to be finished, that's when disasters raise their ugly heads. When the juices flow, l'll spend a few hours so tinkering with the Windsor & Newton brushes but for now, she rolled across the line and is heading for my miniature display case museum.

The only part of the kit I struggled a bit with were the gear doors, as they fit into slots on the wheel well upper walls, which I found hard work with when all the detail parts already in place. I should have followed David Hansen's suggestion to glue them in place BEFORE everything else with Kystal Klear and next time I will; no question it would have made things a million percent easier.

For now the canopy is just snapped into place and can be shown closed with the kit ejection seats and when in the raised position with the Quickboost seats.

I pretty much followed the instructions sequence and no real problems at all. Care needs to be exercised in part selection, as there are a number of F-14D Super Tomcat parts on the frets and that kit is soon due to be released. Also,be aware of which loadout selection you are doing and the wing sweep as different parts are used.

I tried a number of firsts on the Tomcat:

Mr Color lacquer paints and clears – and just fell in love with them, pushing MRP into second place. Jay (tucohoward) has been after me for a long time to try out Mr Color and while I did buy a number of bottles, I only used them in small parts. Shame on me – Thanks Jay! Painting was accomplished with AK Gray Primer and Microfiller and then almost all Mr Color paints. I did use a bit of Tamiya paints here and there and all brush painting was done with Model Air paints. The gear oleos were Alclad Chrome over Mr Color Gloss Black – a perfect combination.

Exhausts are a mix of AK Metallicis and Alclads.

Furball Decals were used through out and they are simply brilliant plus their color painting/decal/stencil guides made my day. All the missiles were decaled with the Tamiya kit decals and they went down with no troubles at all.

My highest recommendations for anyone wanting to build the best Tomcat kit available straight out of the box in my opinion.

Please Papa Tamiya, retire your outdated 32nd scale F-14 Tomcat and just upscale this kit to 32nd scale – easily would be kit of the year. If so, no question in my mind I would be buying at least four 32nd scale Tamiya Tomcats if they ever decided to answer my/our prayers.

Thanks for following the build and all the wonderful comments

Peter

xAH7MH.jpg

wXxocH.jpg

Au1xcS.jpg

zllskL.jpg

RIiNbP.jpg

Peter, a very nice looking and finished Tomcat. Well done and good idea to not rush the last few little things.

So, what's next on the Tomcat build schedule? A VF-84 one with a Zero kill marking perhaps? That's the movie that piqued my interest in the F-14, well before Top Gun came out.

Carl