Copper State Models 1/32 Nieuport N. 17

Kagemusha

I looked at the Copper state sprues and parts at my earliest opertunity.  When I firsat saw the CAD images, I actually thought it was a WNW kit.  It took a while to figure out that it was not.  Even looking at early sprue shots, I thought it WNW based upon the style layout of the sprues, runners and gates.  One thing I noticed early on are the fine gates at the attachment points and the overall attention to detail in the molding design.  My expectation is that this kit will fit togther just as well as a WNW kit.  At one time we would have expected a newer maker’s parts to not fit well etc however that is not as much the case anymore.  When WNW came out no one could believe how well they fit together and actually their problem was that in some cases their design tolerances were too fine making it hard to fit wings into designed slots and things like that.  If you have built their Albatros D.V. and fit the rods that holds together the cockpit frames you will also understand.  Getting that cleaned up enough to go through the required holes is a minor miracle in itself.

Now we see this more often with new manufacturers like Takom, Meng Rye Field and others.  Out of the gate their models are highly detailed well engineered and fit together well.  With contemporary design standards, poor fit on fully engineered kits is becoming less of an issue.  

Instead it is more likely to find design errors resulting from research mistakes or other basic mistakes than can happen in any design process.

In the end I have the highest confidence that Copper State is going to deliver a first class Nieuport kit if I were in a position to buy one now I would, I just have too many other things going on.  

I am going to add another point about the Copper state kit, when you look at the panels that make up the back of the plane, it looks like the sides and top assemble onto some sore of frame.  This means there will be no seems to fill in places that would not have one.  Even WNW have not tried this in their kits.  We will have to await a review but it looks like the Nieuport all the panels fall on natural panel lines so in that regard there will be a much easier build up.  I do see a lot of ejector tabs or something on the parts, those are easy to nip off and clean up.  The runner gates to the parts are really fine so that will make clean up go better.  

Give this thing a chance, it looks like it is going to be a great model.  

Edited by cbk57

6 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I looked at the Copper state sprues and parts at my earliest opertunity.  When I firsat saw the CAD images, I actually thought it was a WNW kit.  It took a while to figure out that it was not.  Even looking at early sprue shots, I thought it WNW based upon the style layout of the sprues, runners and gates.  One thing I noticed early on are the fine gates at the attachment points and the overall attention to detail in the molding design.  My expectation is that this kit will fit togther just as well as a WNW kit.  At one time we would have expected a newer maker’s parts to not fit well etc however that is not as much the case anymore.  When WNW came out no one could believe how well they fit together and actually their problem was that in some cases their design tolerances were too fine making it hard to fit wings into designed slots and things like that.  If you have built their Albatros D.V. and fit the rods that holds together the cockpit frames you will also understand.  Getting that cleaned up enough to go through the required holes is a minor miracle in itself.

Now we see this more often with new manufacturers like Takom, Meng Rye Field and others.  Out of the gate their models are highly detailed well engineered and fit together well.  With contemporary design standards, poor fit on fully engineered kits is becoming less of an issue.  

Instead it is more likely to find design errors resulting from research mistakes or other basic mistakes than can happen in any design process.

In the end I have the highest confidence that Copper State is going to deliver a first class Nieuport kit if I were in a position to buy one now I would, I just have too many other things going on.  

I am going to add another point about the Copper state kit, when you look at the panels that make up the back of the plane, it looks like the sides and top assemble onto some sore of frame.  This means there will be no seems to fill in places that would not have one.  Even WNW have not tried this in their kits.  We will have to await a review but it looks like the Nieuport all the panels fall on natural panel lines so in that regard there will be a much easier build up.  I do see a lot of ejector tabs or something on the parts, those are easy to nip off and clean up.  The runner gates to the parts are really fine so that will make clean up go better.  

Give this thing a chance, it looks like it is going to be a great model.  

I believe that the Junker D.I kit does this?

Most of their kits though have a seem running through the center of the rear fuselage.  I remember my Sopwith pup had a pretty nasty gap in it, might have been my fault though.  The runner gate on the pup was also on the large side and ran right on the surface that needed to be glued, in one spot I got too much plastic as I recal and had a divot.  The whole seem on the central spine had to be filled and I think on the lower as well.  

Edited by cbk57

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I kind of saw the kit on their table at Telford but to be honest completely forgot this was coming out or I would have stopped and asked them about it.  I have had good luck with CSM customer service in the past.  I have two WNW kits (well, the Green Tailed Trilogy and the Richthofen Albatross) to build, but not sure I'd go for the CSM Nieuport.  If it gets good reviews I might give it a go. I'm kind of burned out on WWI subjects due to HobbyCraft/Roden build issues but hoping WNW revitalizes me.

Chris

31 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

I picked up a late bixing at Telford on Saturday and have to say it's a little gem. I will post some spruce shots later if people would like but it looks fantastic!

Regards. Andy

Yes. I, for one, would love to see them.

I suppose we'll see the contents soon enough, but I haven't seen any images of whatever the PE included comprises?

PE is still mentioned on the CSM website today, but I've never seen it portrayed.

I'm very glad to see another high quality manufacturer join WNW in mining the rich seams of WWI subjects out there. These two could keep going for years and not tread on each other's toes. May they both continue to supply top notch 1/32 kits.

Matt