Copper State Models 1/32 Nieuport N. 17

Kagemusha

My CSM 1/32nd Nieuport 17, early arrived on Friday 23 November 2018.  I got a notification by email about two or three days prior stating it was on the way.  Great service.  As an aside, and maybe this has been brought up before, there are a few other model companies out there that do offer 1/32nd scale WWI Bi-planes other than German and Brit.  They take a bit of effort but produce a very nice model, Roden and A-Model come to mind.   Hat's off and a tip of the Pin to Edgar at CSM for taking this bold step into the realm of injection molding and doing it with a quality kit.

Mark

My Nieuport (late) kit arrived today. For what it's worth, I'll agree with the previous comments. In my opinion this looks to be a very, very nice kit. Given the quantity of unbuilt kits in my closet, and my age, I'm cutting way back on new kit purchases. But I've always loved the Nieuport 17, and I like to support bold ventures by small businesses like CSM. I hope this kit is successful for them and they're able to bring us more in the future. I'd love to see a SPAD 13 with a similar level of quality.

An FYI for those of you who have gotten your XVII 'early' kit and are tearing into it: I am working on a review and found an error in the instructions in Step 46, so watch it! CSM has acknowledged it and there should be an errata on their website soon. I think I know what the correction is but they have not said whether I am right or not, so will wait for the errata so as not to confuse you.

I can say this is a beautiful kit! Look for the review in the next two or three days, assuming I don't keep getting dragged into the whole Christmas decorating thing by the wife!

10 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

An FYI for those of you who have gotten your XVII 'early' kit and are tearing into it: I am working on a review and found an error in the instructions in Step 46, so watch it! CSM has acknowledged it and there should be an errata on their website soon. I think I know what the correction is but they have not said whether I am right or not, so will wait for the errata so as not to confuse you.

I can say this is a beautiful kit! Look for the review in the next two or three days, assuming I don't keep getting dragged into the whole Christmas decorating thing by the wife!

Thanks for the heads up, Ray. I'm anxiously awaiting my 'early' kit - it's in transit. I look forward to your review!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 8:31 PM, vince14 said:

My kits arrived yesterday, and I must say I'm very impressed. CSM have really put a lot of thought and effort into them, right down to the presentation of the instructions and the packaging. Are they WNW quality? Not quite, but they're really not very far off at all.

So it's good news, people. A company who are approaching WNW quality and appear to be happy to tackle some of the areas WNW are neglecting. I'll certainly be buying any future WWI kits in 1/32 that CSM produce.

‘Not far off’? Sounds good!

On 11/29/2018 at 3:20 PM, LSP_Ray said:

How’s the decorating going...!?

33 minutes ago, Rob Owens said:

IMHO, the REALLY good news is that Italian, Russian, Belgian, and RFC releases are planned, according to Edgar.  The plethora of users/camo schemes/markings makes the “15 Meter Nieuport” my personal WWI favorite.

I do like having a plethora of stickers to choose from when it comes to my Nieuports.

By the way,  besides the classical Windsock datafiles,

I also strongly recommend the following book:

https://www.crossandcockade.com/store/product.asp?id=300

The paper version is not available anymore and second-hand copies are asking for very high prices but the book is probably the best available reference on the British use of Nieuports. It also has tons of good plans and CAD "skeletton views".

I also got a very good French limited edition booklet that is describing the production batches and their differences:

http://1914.forumactif.com/t210-nouveau-livre-de-marc-chassard-nieuport-17

Even if it was released in September, I am not sure there are still many available as mine has the number 88!

HTH

Thierry

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2018 at 6:36 AM, thierry laurent said:

I also think the arrival of a competitor may only have positive effects on WnW strategy. Being in a monopoly position does not push you to stay inventive...

When is everyone going to believe that WnWs isn’t interested in competing with anyone. They just won’t come out with a Nie 17. But you have to realize that because of upper wings, all that internal work you do in a small fighter will be unseen.

On 5/16/2018 at 9:29 AM, Gene K said:

Not transferred, but definitely aglow!! But then, there's WNW hope since they finally did a Camel "despite" there being "acceptable" (?) kits on the market. I've never understood that strategy as it appears from modelers' consensus that the SPAD and DR.I would surely be great sellers.

Excellent decision by Copper State to explore this scale!

Gene K

Gene K

The only acceptable Camel was mage by Hobbycraft, and they no longer exists. The Dr1 is still in production and WnWs has now offered a decal for Roden to prove their willingness to not compete but help Roden to sell more Dr1s.