1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Just love every update Peter!

You spoke about overlapping the leading edge sheet to make sure everything lines up; do you do this for all the panels or is it more just those tricky ones and due to the softer material you're using on the leading edge that you do this?

Awesome as always!

Craig

hello again folks :)

On 5/22/2019 at 1:37 AM, brahman104 said:

Just love every update Peter!

You spoke about overlapping the leading edge sheet to make sure everything lines up; do you do this for all the panels or is it more just those tricky ones and due to the softer material you're using on the leading edge that you do this?

Awesome as always!

Craig

Hi Craig - I only do this when using annealed litho, or the soft ali I use for compound curves - a good example of this comes in a minute when doing the stabiliser fillets - it's a really good way of getting a virtually invisible seam rather than trying to butt two complex edges together..

So, fillets....

they are all curved as you woulkd expect, some in multiple directions - I was hoping the dorsal fin was the last panel as the very tip of it overlaps the fuselage skin I can't add until the cockpit is in.. but no, it's the first panel down - I guess as it's the least removed in service..

..to get an idea of the area, this is for a P51C without a dorsal fin - I couldn't find too much on one with a fin and all the resto pics I have of Lopes Hope do not yet have all the fillets fitted so some assumptions were made from what I could see that they are pretty similar to a 'D' model..

..you can see curvature & shapes and the fittings that fasten them too

WIP782_zpstbbn6zm1.jpg

..I did the dorsal fin but forgot to take pics, so this is the upper forward fillet first..

..a sheet is bent & taped down to start the forming process..

WIP769_zpssnxyhcsp.jpg

..a ball pein hammer is used to gently beat it into shape, and helped with balsa rubbing blocks and hard wood coffee stirrers..

..here I am trying to get it to conform to the leading edge and the curved part that runs out onto the fuselage..

WIP770_zpsisy8vczr.jpg

..after shaping a number of scaled templates were used to derive the shapes - these are side views so I have to allow for the shape as it curves away from the eye..

WIP774_zpsbm8fm9i5.jpg

..and soon all the fillets were in place ready for final shaping & smoothing - at the leading edge you can see where the panels overlap - by sanding away the overlap a perfect seam results - in fact on the full size one this is a butt weld which is finished on the outside..

WIP773_zpsumbkphi4.jpg

WIP772_zpsswqedf2d.jpg

WIP771_zpszzbfn8l1.jpg

..after final finishing and finessing some of the edges, the fasteners were added - this was a vet labourious process as each one must be punched, then marked with an awl for the fastner, then flattened, then added - there are about 60 each side..

WIP781_zpsbhnja6nq.jpg

WIP775_zpsr9quc4be.jpg

WIP777_zpsbcwyzm78.jpg

WIP778_zpsshx5mtfn.jpg

WIP780_zpsnzma7hwn.jpg

..once the other side has it's fasteners (I can only do so many at a time without getting bored..), I will move along the underside to the air scoop & exit under the fuselage..

TTFN

Peter

thank you chaps - I do really appreciate your kind words :)

after a day of looking at the fasteners - I have to accept they are over scale... I could not find a drawing that had the fastener size, just the hole size, but then I saw the hatches below the stabilister have the same size fasteners and I have that drawing, and it has that dimension..

basically they should scale to 0.85mm and the smallest puch I have is 1mm, it doesn't sound much, and maybe it's not the diameter that is troubling me so much as the thickness - they look like big bolts and they should be shallow and streamlined..

I need to buy a smaller scale punch set, and I need to think about a thinner material to use..

they are all coming off...

TTFN

Peter