airscale

1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

evening folks :)

..still plugging away on the wing skinning - the goal is to replicate what you see below on everything behind the mainspar as all forward of it is filled and smooth on the real airframe..

..some useful shots from aircorps restoration of Lopes Hope..

WIP709_zpsyktru3ob.jpg

WIP708_zpswyowwuk6.jpg

..there is litle point showing panel by panel, so here is one panel's story....

I start by making a tape template from household masking tape and burnishing it down to the edges of any adjacent panels with a cocktail stick followed by a pencil mark capturing the face edge of them..

..this is the forward gun access hatch..

WIP710_zpss1i0xlob.jpg

..then the tape is stuck on a sheet of litho and all the edges scored with one swipe with a scalpel.. the original drawing is scaled to fit this panel and cut out..

WIP711_zpsjrjwc9rm.jpg

..with the scaled printout stuck to the panel, any rivet detail, or openings are added  - rivets one, by one with an awl of different sizes..

WIP712_zpsdimkqwxc.jpg

any swarf is cleaned up, both surfaces made scrupulously clean and the panel is burnished face side down on hard acrylic sheet with a large metal rod - this gets all the 'pillowing' out where the metal deforms under pressure - afterall all we want is a nice round flat indent representing a flush rivet..

..the waste is simply broken away by using a hold & fold tool - where I can holding the part, not the waste - a couple of wobbles & it breaks away with a surgical edge..

WIP713_zpsarnyqibf.jpg

..the panel is then positioned and one edge taped down so it folds back on itself but returns to exactly the right position once the contact cement is added to both the panel and the wing..

..I mask around it to avoid having to clean up every time - the masking must be removed immediately or the glue starts to go off and if the tape is pulled, it pulls big rubbery sheets of adhesive with it..

WIP714_zpsaxwvhesk.jpg

..same process repeated on every panel..

WIP707_zpsearqinb6.jpg

..and now both wings are complete behind the spar - there are some slots added to the wing in front of the gun panels where I will let in a piano hinge..

WIP715_zpsdvocjeqw.jpg

WIP716_zpsbu0mpmfi.jpg

WIP717_zpscwf4hvle.jpg

WIP718_zpsvofptowb.jpg

..I have been thinking about how to skin the forward part and have decided not to do panel by panel with all the rivets like I did under the wing. I am just going to skin it in two big sheets  rolling around the leading edge with zero detail... the idea being that the original was filled smooth and the detailed panels will be almost impossible to do that to so why bother - there are two detailed panels on the leading edge - a panel to get to the gear leg mounts and the landing light so I will leave openings to add those (I stripped the old landing light panel off as I wasn't happy with it)..

..thats all for next time though..

TTFN

Peter

You are absolutely nailing this Peter! I've just been re-reading your Spitfire book and I've got to say this is next level again! If that's even possible :) I was just thinking about your leading edge today and that's exactly how I would have approached it...... I think it will nail the look 100%

11 hours ago, JayW said:

Man - I am sooo impressed with the wing skins Peter.  Question - what are you going to do about the tires?

Well Jay, I may have had a sneak preview of the tyres and I gotta say they're nothing short of spectacular! Can't steal Peter's thunder though!!!! ;)

Craig

4 hours ago, williamj said:

I'm almost certain Peter does crossword puzzles with a ballpoint pen.

This will be a great book.A Mustang must have.:wub::bow:

Who doesn't do crossword puzzles with a ballpoint? :whistle:

Totally agree with you regarding the book, consider this post my pre-order!!

Your patience is an example to us all!

I see how you get the rivets flush with the burnishing.

How do you do the larger fasteners with the flat head screws? 

morning folks :)

On 4/19/2019 at 11:18 PM, JayW said:

Man - I am sooo impressed with the wing skins Peter.  Question - what are you going to do about the tires?

Hi Jay - the wheels & tyres are 3D modelled already, just tweaking the design with some help as the treads and the flat spot are a bit too complex for my limited knowledge :)

On 4/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, KUROK said:

Your patience is an example to us all!

I see how you get the rivets flush with the burnishing.

How do you do the larger fasteners with the flat head screws? 

..thanks KUROK - the Awl set I have has about 25 sizes from a pinprick to about 1.5mm in diameter - the slot for the screw is then added with  a scalpel blade point ground down to a tiny flat blade..

..I set myself a target of getting the wings skinned before I go back to work tomorrow, and it is pretty much done..

..I went by this factory photo of where the filler was used on the leading edge (posted under fair use) and as can be seen, it does not extend to the wingtip so that panel was left detailed..

WIP721_zpsphjwohfm.jpg

..a tape template for the main panel..

WIP719_zpsubzds4hy.jpg

..and after annealing the leading edge and some fine fettling to fit all the rear panels the skin is added...

WIP720_zps3jhsbwe6.jpg

..a piano hinge was added to the forward gun door by scoring lines on a sheet of litho and bending it double so the edge is upright - this was let into a slot in the wing..

WIP723_zps5fwhsgci.jpg

..the gear leg mount access panel & gun ports..

WIP724_zpsvcdudlqw.jpg

WIP722_zpsurslho9h.jpg

..and the basis of the wings is done..

WIP728_zpsblkhbvb3.jpg

WIP729_zpsy0townrt.jpg

WIP726_zpshxo0zesz.jpg

WIP727_zpsnxmwdj9y.jpg

WIP730_zps8qfv8h8p.jpg

WIP725_zpsotxyocu5.jpg

..getting there...

TTFN
Peter

'the filler was used on the leading edge (posted under fair use) and as can be seen, it does not extend to the wingtip so that panel was left detailed..'

WIP685_zpsamyqi4y4.jpg

AirCorps, from Page 44, shows otherwise.

WIP722_zpsurslho9h.jpg

Nice butt joint.

Good show, Peter.

Sincerely,

Mark