airscale

1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

I swear, when you stick a photo of the real aircraft in the middle of a bunch of photos of your work (like you did in that last post), it takes me a few seconds to realize that I'm not still looking at the model, that is how good your work is.  Bravo.

Bil

Dear Peter

Instead of just adding another heap of praise, I would suggest that the fabric of this cloth-clad-thingy (on the right hand) seems to be waaaaaaay overscale to my eye!

WIP366_zpsx8v2eid7.jpg

To defend my heresy, I would mention that your thread has produced enough knitting-experts on LSP (myself included); And now you have finally presented an opportunity for us to "criticize" your work: That thing looks like it was made out of the extra scratchy, hairy wool used by my grandma for knitting my underpants! Take this, ha!

Pleeeze, would you consider to apply some silk instead... ?:o)

:coolio:

On 10/12/2018 at 12:24 PM, BlackCanopy said:

Dear Peter

Instead of just adding another heap of praise, I would suggest that the fabric of this cloth-clad-thingy (on the right hand) seems to be waaaaaaay overscale to my eye!

WIP366_zpsx8v2eid7.jpg

To defend my heresy, I would mention that your thread has produced enough knitting-experts on LSP (myself included); And now you have finally presented an opportunity for us to "criticize" your work: That thing looks like it was made out of the extra scratchy, hairy wool used by my grandma for knitting my underpants! Take this, ha!

Pleeeze, would you consider to apply some silk instead... ?:o)

:coolio:

haha - I have to agree and I sort of knew it once I had finished it. I might remake it and actually it was the finest weave I could find - if I need silk then Mrs airscale better watch out and I better have a good excuse for going through her underwear :ph34r:

so next up was the trim pedestal seen here - this is in Lopes Hope, but has some of the access panels removed - luckily I have drawings of these...

WIP378_zpsygj8pf3l.jpg

..first thing to do was take what info I could from the drawings and make templates to scale...

WIP377_zpsgknvclcj.jpg

this was then transposed to a sheet of thick plastic card...

WIP379_zpscfadddhp.jpg

..and working up the base shapes and the access panels..

WIP380_zpssol6j13u.jpg

..I had the trim wheels 3D printed by shapeways and the tape template is trying to work out the top panel as the plan does not allow for the curvature...

WIP381_zps4fbcqdca.jpg

..the tape template then was used to create the top panel...

WIP382_zpsoxultsdf.jpg

..and the sub assembly starts to take shape - some of the placards needed backing panels adding..

WIP383_zpsthzi5rpj.jpg

WIP384_zpsrwpwha35.jpg

..priming and painting the 3D parts..

WIP385_zpsm1uf8itu.jpg

..these then had the bespoke decals added..

WIP386_zps0xgv4mwy.jpg

..and after painting the unit all the levers were fabricated and the other decals added..

..it will need weathering later and a big lever at the bottom needs adding..

WIP387_zpsal9qugqd.jpg

WIP388_zpshfdiio22.jpg

WIP390_zpsfscrhb3k.jpg

WIP389_zpsilzqkfku.jpg

..and how it will fit in the fuselage side panel..

WIP391_zps7vyhm2xg.jpg

enjoyed that, will have to see what is up next.. :)

TTFN

Peter

if I need silk then Mrs airscale better watch out and I better have a good excuse for going through her underwear :ph34r:

You could blame it on me. I'm beyond jurisdiction.

WIP390_zpsfscrhb3k.jpg

One of my favourite pieces of Mustang perfectly represented!

How the pilots were supposed to 'read' the information on the placard in the upper right corner from this steep angle is completely unclear, though. If the placard was put there for maintenance crew, (bending into the cockpit from the wing to do what with the landing gear?) the placard should actually be placed upside down!

See where ignorance combined with logic thinking can get you? ...    :redx: ... Experts to the rescue!